C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keisler test drive revisited- long, but necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:34 PM
white74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary

I was able to bring my car home last saturday,but let me start from the beginning.

I took my car to a pensacola florida shop who pulled the th 400 transmission, but was unable to go any further.

I called Keisler in July of last year, my invoice is dated July 15. That is the date I was put in line for the transmission and motor changeover. Shefi said it would take two weeks maybe three because there were cars ahead of me. I wanted to give him plenty of time so I told him to put me in line, but I wouldn't bring him the car for another three weeks so I could be first in line. I went ahead and shipped motor, radiator, and headers to his shop so we would have everything ready to go. Three weeks later I took him the car in the beginning of August. I met his lead installer/fabricator and was told of an ase certified mechanic he was soon to be hiring, neither would be employed with keisler in the coming months - it was my impression both quit. But that is only heresay.

I worked on the boats at the time so I only came in every two weeks, so I was home for my off time then gone two weeks then I called back to see if my car was ready, they had not started it. I wasn't happy that they had not called but I let it go.

So I was home for a week gone for two weeks, then I called back on my last day on the boat. Jeremy Whitehead(no longer employed by keisler) or Grey ( I can't remember who I called or who called me back) told me my transmission would be shipping soon. I explained that my car was there and that they were supposed to be finished with it. So he said the scheduler would call me back. If I remember correctly it was Jeremy who called me back, he told me to bring my car in sometime in October. I blew a fuse, I told him that my car was already there, and I was supposed to be coming to pick it up. He said he could not verify the condition of my car or if it was even there, but he would call me back. He never did.

I called back, talked to Nikki (who I wasn't able to speak to and I believe is no longer employed by keisler). She said she would call me back never did.

I asked my Dad to go check on the car. He did all was well.

Then Aron Meyer emails me to tell me my work will begin as planned on October 16. I found this insulting because this was not even going as planned, but I was happy never the less.

At somepoint Shefi calls and asks if I would like to trade the 5 and 6 in my tranny from .72/.5 to .8/.62 which we had talked about because that is what I wanted to do, but in the beginning he could not do it. So I agree even though it means I will be going with a used viper tranny

Then I call back and Shefi says that due to his techs quitting he will not be able to do the car, but he wants a knoxville area shop to do it. I call back to check progress and he tells me the deal with that shop has fallen through. He wants to send my car to Atlanta, I don't like the idea, but he will cover shipping so I agree. He says he will call me with the details. I leave for Ireland the next week so I tell him to call my dad and keep him updated.

I am not sure chronologically when, but at some point during this whole thing I call Shefi and he says the holdup is his inability to find new od gears. So I tell one of his workers, I think Aron, to try a Ford dealership, or Fortes parts connection, he tells me that Keisler is a direct tremec dealer and they don't have any parts he doesn't. But he called my a few days later to tell me he had the parts.

I fly to Ireland, spend two weeks there, then fly into Atlanta. I think great time to go check on the cars progress while I am in Atlanta. I call Shefi, he says the car never left Knoxville, he wasn't comfortable with the shops work. I believe the shops in both Atlanta and Knoxville both proved cost prohibitive which is why neither worked on my car, but that is only my opinion. This is December.
He says he has found a shop in Knoxville that can do the work and will be coming to get the car on Monday. This is in January.

Monday I call, the shop has not come to get the car, I tell Keisler I am coming to get the car figure what I owe you. He says he cannot give me the upgraded six speed because he doesn't want the problems to be addressed hours away, so he says the new shop will be working on his corvette and if they do good work he will let them do my car. All goes well with his car so I go ahead and let them do mine.

They pick up the car rebuild the front end put the motor on the stand and have everything ready to go. Bob calls me, Shefi has yet to build my tranny. So everything is being held up while Shefi builds tranny. Shefi can't deliever as promised. Breaks transmission trying to switch gears, unavoidable, but should have happened months before.

Shefi gets Bob the transmission, and Bob has it in the car a week or two later.
This is when I finally drive the car for the first time in going on a year. I like it but the speedo and tach do not work. I decide to go with 4.10 gear ratio change and come home.

Bob rebuilt my rear end, installed the new gears, rebuilt trailing arms and rear brakes, but Shefi still has not come up with the correct black box to make it work. So bye this point everyone is beginning to get tense about the money, but I refuse to pay anymore money ( by this point I had paid 4500 in good faith deposites) until I can bring the car home.

Well the Mechanic had to wait another week to get his money, but Keisler never did get the correct viper speed senser box to work so they instlalled a chevy t56 box.

I called Shefi 5 times the week before trying to get in touch with him, but he didn't have time to call until I was going to get my car in Knoxville. He told me I owed 4700 more for the install. I asked him to meet me at the shop.
When he came to the shop he had brought me both the tko flywheel and clutch for my car, we agreed he would sell them for me on consignment I was trying to foster good relations, he said he would give me 150 for the pair. He also gave me 1050 (which Jeremy Whitehead told me that keisler pays 1400 from tremec) for the gm tko I had purchased from fortes the year before. He said he could not give me anymore because it was last years model, which I pointed out was his fault. I wish I had tried to sell the clutch, flywheel and tko here on the forum, but in the moment I made the wrong decision. When I talked of money he said he wasn't making a profit as it was. He said I was asking for him to give everything to me for free. I thought it was wrong that eventhough he did not do the majority of the work he was still charging me more than the shop charged him and more than the price he had quoted in the beginning over the phone. I didn't like it when he said he was making no prifit off the tranny, but he sells the generic version of the same tranny for over 2000 less. I felt he owed me for the broken promises, but I guess the thing that made me maddest was when he said the transmission in my car was a brand new viper unit not the upgraded unit I believed it was. I couldn't believe he had waited until the day I was to pick up the car to tell me. He said he had records of telling me over the phone, but I called him a liar because I don't forget things like that.

I expected more, more professionalism, and more quality. He crushed the front bumper and the chipped hood and stripped three of the hood support bolts (which I don't know what to do about) during the short amount of time he actually worked on my car at his shop and the speedometer works so poorly I would have expected more out of myself. It doesn't work below 35 mph and bounces pretty badly after it starts to work. I know it is not the head because I had it rebuilt recently by clocks by roger. I feel cheated because I thought I was buying a kit and they used my car to fabricate the speedo, they made two crossmembers so one could be used as a template, and had to make two driveshafts. Keisler said it took 21 hours to pull the motor and half a day to pull the tranny. I didn't understand this because there was no transmission and the exhaust was already removed. I tried to talk sensibly, but my words fell on deaf ears. The only concessions that he made which was a little insulting was that he knew he would not be finished with my car in two weeks, that he was sorry but if a project ran long he was not responsible - that was not his way of doing business, and he would give me 50 for the 200 cell phone calls (I actually called probably twice that many times, but if you think that is excessive let someone lose your car and jerk you around). I was also amazed that not only was there no console plate or ebrake cover in my car he still did not have the six speed shifter plate made. I spent five hours in the shops office discussing this with Shefi himself, but finally after his insulting me and my mother, I paid him his money.

As one final insult he would not let me leave (earlier he told me I could not drive my car until everything was paid in full, but the mechanic let me) until after he had went back to his shop and had finished charging my dad's credit card (the bill from Keisler was twice what I expected and I had not brought enough cash.) He really wanted to show he was boss by refusing to take the entire payment off the credit card, he forced me to pay him what money I had in cash. There is more but this is long enough

I've been sick so I am sorry this is all a week late and I hope it is all clear please post questions. I have documentation to support some of the times and all the money. I will post if any of you wish.

[Modified by white74, 11:35 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 06:48 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (white74)

the lesson in all this is:

learn how to do this kind of work yourself.

If you are too squeemish to get your hands dirty, you gotta wait for your car and pay a lot of money.

[Modified by turtlevette, 6:57 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 07:27 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"So bye this point everyone is beginning to get tense about the money, but I refuse to pay anymore money ( by this point I had paid 4500 in good faith deposites)...I called Shefi 5 times the week before trying to get in touch with him, but he didn't have time to call until I was going to get my car in Knoxville. He told me I owed 4700 more for the install. I asked him to meet me at the shop."

Damn, are you telling us you were charged $9,200 for a transmission install?

Old 03-20-2004, 08:51 PM
white74
Intermediate

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (SpyderD)

I paid keisler 4700 and the mechanic 3900, but that was for front and rear total rebuilds as well, and a gear swap. The 4500 comes from a 3500 deposit on the tranny and a 1000 on the rebuild parts. But keep in mind that this wasn't for any of the auto to manual changeover I already had those parts and doesn't take into consideration the gm tko, flywheel clutch ect that I was given credit for.

[Modified by white74, 1:55 AM 3/21/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:10 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Yikes! You just paid more money for those rebuilds than most of us paid for our cars.
You live and learn. Note that it seems all mechanics work on their own delayed and late time table, it's just the nature of the business. Just like the other poster says - learn how to work on your car. Other than that I am not sure what you are asking for - legal advice? mechanical questions? or just to rant?
Well, I hope other than the speedo problem, everything else is working OK. The speedo should be a simple fix - maybe it's just a cable problem.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:19 PM
white74
Intermediate

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (SpyderD)

1. I really wish I had done this myself so please don't keep harping on it.

2.more fyi than anything, I want to know how your experiences go, so I feel I have to share mine.

3. It is not the speedo cable, it is brand new, but I would love to know how it works on your five speed. I would also appreciate any ideas.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

I was also amazed that not only was there no console plate or ebrake cover in my car he still did not have the six speed shifter plate made. I spent five hours in the shops office discussing this with Shefi himself, but finally after his insulting me and my mother, I paid him his money.
John,
Your posting is full of erroneous and misleading information. I am sorry that you have to misrepresent me, our product and company. I am not going to get into a flame discussion with you or other posters over this issue. I will simply remind you of several points I made with courtesy to you:
1. UP FRONT, we informed you restoration of cars is NOT our business, and that performing unrelated service work is charged at our rate of $59/hr
2. your car required extensive service, cleaning and restoration work - of which we only charged you a portion of the hours actually worked. I told you early on you should reconsider the installation due to the large amount of work needed, and our installation schedule which was problematic for your car.
3. we performed the transmission installation, including the fabrication work to your crossmember - all for an extremely reasonable rate of 22hr ($1298)
4. we did provide you a brand new Viper T56, as originally planned for the advertised price on the website
5. multiple crossmembers and driveshafts were not made - only 1 each - both of which are on your car now
6. your hood, bumper, etc were never damaged while in our possession. We deal with cars in excess of $100K on a regular basis, and have never had a claim for damage
7. if your speedometer is not reading properly, contact us first - we will fix it - not the Corvette Forum. It's an Abbot unit, and I'm certain they will support us to resolve any issues you have.
8. the console nameplate is in process, and will be shipped to you upon receipt to our company. The lack of the top plate installation was due to the fact you need to change your top plate. Bob would have installed the automatic one for you if you asked. Your leather upper boot and rubber lower boot were seperately shipped.
9. having your mother yelling at me over your business issues which she does not understand put everyone in a bad position. I did not insult her intentionally by any means, and you should reconsider bringing her into your business in the future. It's not my fault you invested more money in your car than you expected. Our automatic transmission changeover kit ($4995) and installation cost ($1298) were BELOW what we normally charge, if anything.
10. I apologized for the problems we had with your job, and discounted your bill. I also gave you $50 towards phone time, and offered you more if you require it. If you do require it, simply ask US, not the Corvette Forum.

Shafi Keisler, Keisler Engineering http://www.keislerauto.com

[Modified by Keisler Automotive, 8:25 PM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 08:53 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (Keisler Automotive)

I just received my 5-speed from Keisler, about a month earlier than promised. I also received a letter apologizing for an incorrect driveshaft. The letter explained how to send it back at Keisler’s expense and that they would ship a new one to me (though I am not sure why they did not just send me the new correct one with a pre-paid return shipping tag).

So far I have had no problem with Keisler, and appreciate the letter that they sent.

What I did learn in a past horrible experience with having a big name blower manufacture do a custom blower install on one of my boats is; Get a written detailed estimate BEFORE you drop your toy off, if anything changes, get another written estimate. I paid a lot of money for my blower install and when I went to pick it up, (it took about three months longer than the original two to three weeks!) there was two major items that we had “talked about” not on the boat. The first was the ECU used, I had told him that I wanted the Accel DFI unit and I got a factory Merc/Chevy controller which I can not tune! The second was all the hoses were supposed to be all stainless with stainless fittings. What I got were anodized red & blue aluminum fittings. I was so pissed after driving down to Fresno (from Napa) that I just picked up my boat and learned an expensive lesson.

Anyway find a mechanic you can trust and get it in writing. And by the way I don’t do any of my own wrenching anymore due to time restraints. I would rather spend my limited free time driving my toys!

Eric.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (EricU)

I just received my 5-speed from Keisler, about a month earlier than promised. I also received a letter apologizing for an incorrect driveshaft.
IM glad to see thay have turned it around. there were alot of folks here back in Aug to Dec. wating a LOOONNG time for this fine product.

chad

Old 03-22-2004, 09:17 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (71'AirStrike)

IM glad to see thay have turned it around. there were alot of folks here back in Aug to Dec. wating a LOOONNG time for this fine product.

:iagree: :iagree: There have been lots of posts in the past about members waiting for their transmissions/promises not kept.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:22 PM
white74
Intermediate

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (Keisler Automotive)

1. over the phone you quoted me an hourly rate of 50 dollars, I remember because I was suprised at how cheap it was. The rate did not change until I had driven across 3 states to take you my car

2. this extensive work took Bob less than two weeks once he was given my car that leaves basically 8 months unaccounted for. I would also like you to explain how Bob did this work in less time than it took you to build the transmission that I had already paid for.

3. I don't really see how your making money off another shops work is resonable when I brought my car to you. And installation of the tranny was 1200, but before you got through the installation cost 3000+ so it was a 2000 dollar 350 to 350 swap

4. yes I recieved the transmission we originally agreed on not the upgraded tranny you offered me. You did not inform me of the switch until the day I picked up the car.

5. Bob your mechanic said there were two crossmembers and that he would have to contact you about making changes to the second original because of information that he, not you learned from my car. As far as the driveshaft goes I understood you were going to make a second one so that the rearend would not have to be removed to pull the transmission, but I don't know for sure that ever happened.

6. I don't care that my car is not worth 100,000 dollars, I don't think that gives you the right to give my car second hand treatment. All I know is that my hood was not chipped when it went into your shop and my bumper didn't have a hole, but now it does. So forgive me for having trouble believing the shop who at one point told me they could not verify my car was actually there, can now tell me with out a shadow of a doubt my car's hood was chipped when it came in.

7. I would love to contact you, but undoubtedly the seven times I called Shefi, Grey, and the almighty Keisler general information mailbox were not enough. The only times you called me back during the entire time I have dealt with you in a semi reasonable period of time was when I called you about a two piece transmission yoke that, and I quote Shefi "I might be able to sell to my costomers." and when you were trying to sell me the transmission.

8. Is this the same console plate that would be ready two weeks from last July when I originally talked to you about the car. Why wasn't I contacted to purchase the correct dash besel, was it necessary to show me the problem on the day of delivery. And finally, since the upper and lower boot consist of a generic black corvette shifter boot and a ultra generic hurst shifter boot, why weren't they at the mechanic shop.

9. I agree I should not have involved my mother.

10. 50 dollars was very little in comparison to the entire bill. And your apology only applied to others actions, never to yourself.

11. You seemed to have left out any explaination of why you tried to send my car to so many shops and you must have missed the paragraphs about the hoops you made me jump through just to find out the new direction my car was headed in.

12. You're post leaves out one important aspect of our transaction. I was also very upfront with you about the condition of my car and you said it would not be a problem to complete in two weeks. You never take any personal responsibility for your inability to complete the work, nor was there any me

[Modified by white74, 3:23 AM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I bought a new kit from a forum member who decided to go another route for a transmission. I did the install as I do all the work on my car. The trans went in without any problems and is working great. I did have a couple of questions that got answered with a phone call. Sorry you had such a bad time with yours but I have been pleased with mine so far.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Rbbmoose427
Advanced

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (Gordonm)

I can sympathise with your nightmare - Keisler definitely has had some growing pains and I've had some problems getting the right part from them and getting a straight story from them while doing my Keisler 5 speed install.

That said, once I've gotten through to Shafi and Grey they have been very helpful and eventually have came through with the correct answers and pieces. After hearing your story, I'm glad I did the install myself although it certainly isn't a 4 hour job (at least not when you swap from an automatic).

R.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Doug2500
Instructor

Happens way too often and I've been lied too and lost a fortune to shops operating the same way. This kind of BS is, all too often, normal operating procedures for shops, mechanical or paint.

[Modified by Doug2500, 3:06 PM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (Doug2500)

:chill:

We where given the view from 2 worlds of perception, the truth usually lies somewhere in between.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:06 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: keisler 6 speed revisited- long, but necessary (Fevre)

:iagree: :chill: :chill: We're starting to get into libel and slander here, folks... :boxing

Get notified of new replies

To keisler test drive revisited- long, but necessary

Quick Reply: keisler test drive revisited- long, but necessary