C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out

Anyway to heat and straighten it out or do I buy another? Got the new u joint in but it is not smooth?

Old 03-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Larry3x2
Instructor

Default Re: U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out (Randy 71)

Randy: I have a hydraulic press and used an old wrist pin from a piston and a straightedge to repress it flat. You can move them fairly accurately if you allow for springback. Insert old bearing races partially inside both ends so the don't ovalize. Also, I minimize the bending from occurring by bolting an old flange back to back with the one I'm changing.

Larry
Old 03-20-2004, 06:40 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out (Randy 71)

When I do the outer flange I bolt it to a special jig I made to support it. The best way that I found for removing U joints is to cut the cross out with the cutting torch then with a air chissel walk the caps out. The heat loosens them so the air chissel has no problem.
These are precision holes. Straightening them would be impossible to re align the 2 sides.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out (norvalwilhelm)

The best way that I found for removing U joints is to cut the cross out with the cutting torch then with a air chissel walk the caps out. The heat loosens them so the air chissel has no problem.
:iagree: Been doing it this way for years now. I can cut 6 out in about 15mins :p:

If they are not "smooth", but binding & tight, go ahead and purchase new ones-you'll need them in a few hundred miles anyways :yesnod:
Old 03-20-2004, 09:16 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Snug is ok but if they're binding then you need a new one from Bairs. Bairs also has reconditioned flanges for 1/2 price that work fine. I used a couple already. Bolt the flange to the spindle flange to see if ti loosen up when torqued if so it's bent. I thought I had one straightened last year only to have it pop the clip and the joint cap under driving load. Are yo using Spicers?
Gary
Old 03-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Default Re: U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out (gtr1999)

Update,
Some very good ideas from all.

Not sure if I bent it now or not. Used a vice, my C clamp press, BF Hammer. Got one cap in with the retaining ring the other side will not go in far enough to put the ring in. It is about 1/16 below flush. I went ahead and reinstalled everything flange bolted up perfectly as everything else. Could it be one of the pins got bend or something?

The u joints on the 1/2 shaft went in perfectly with little effort with the vice. Should the flange go in that easily?

I just drove the car around and will re- torque tomorrow and will see if I can get that retaining ring in.

Randy
Old 03-21-2004, 01:16 AM
daves80
Racer

did one of the needle bearings inside the cap slip down - have seen this happen before - it will keep the cap from going in - dave

Get notified of new replies

To U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out

Quick Reply: U- JOINT Yeeeep......I bend the outer flange getting the old u joint out