C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnosing power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Help diagnosing power window problem

My driver side window suddenly quit working a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it was in the up position, as this is my daily drive. I thought it might be the power window switch, so I bought a new harness. Sure enough, one of the wires had broken loose. So I installed the new harness. Absolutely sure I wired it correctly. Hard to mess up red to red, brown to brown and blue to blue. Know the connections are secure. Still did not work, so took a test light to the power - red wire - and do have power. Don't know how to test the other wires to see if it might also be a switch problem. If I probe the test light to one of the other connections and activate the switch should I get a light on these wires? In other words, how do I test the switch itself.

If the switch turns out to be OK, how do I test the window motor? Can I use the test light on the motor harness to check for power just like testing the switch?

Somewhat at my knowledge limit, though I do learn fast, so let's have the diagnostic procedures and approaches!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Help diagnosing power window problem (Larry82)

At the window motor plug there is 2 wires. With at test light the one wire should be hot when the switch is in the down position and the other wire should be hot when in the up position. I believe ground is completed through the door itself. If you have power at the plug and the motor does not run chances are you have a bad motor. There are 3 wires going to the switch because the one is always hot and when the switch is activated the power flows to one or the other of the other two. Good Luck, Craig
Old 03-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help diagnosing power window problem (CF6873)

Thanks. Since I have power to the switch, shouldn't I see power to one of the other wires on the switch when I activate the switch, if the switch is good?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Help diagnosing power window problem (CF6873)

At the window motor plug there is 2 wires. With at test light the one wire should be hot when the switch is in the down position and the other wire should be hot when in the up position. I believe ground is completed through the door itself. If you have power at the plug and the motor does not run chances are you have a bad motor. There are 3 wires going to the switch because the one is always hot and when the switch is activated the power flows to one or the other of the other two. Good Luck, Craig

:iagree:

Brown is up
Blue is down
Red or pink is 12v
Old 03-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Since I have power to the switch, shouldn't I see power to one of the other wires on the switch when I activate the switch, if the switch is good?
Yes. Larry, try this...........bypass the switch. Use a short jumper wire and stick one end into the connecter (red wire). Stick the other end into the connector (blue wire). The window should start to go down assuming the ground connection is intact on the motor.
The following users liked this post:
75MM (02-05-2019)
Old 03-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help diagnosing power window problem (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks, will try. Getting to the switch is harder than the window motor. I find I have to remove the driver cushion to get at the switch easily, once I get the side panel off. Taking door panel off is easier!

...assuming the ground connection is intact on the motor.
Where is the ground connection? I had to also replace the door lock harness and, could I have dislodged the ground connection? I see the plug on the rear of the motor. Where is the ground? Sorry to be so persistent, just all is new to me.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE

Where is the ground connection? I had to also replace the door lock harness and, could I have dislodged the ground connection? I see the plug on the rear of the motor. Where is the ground? Sorry to be so persistent, just all is new to me.[/QUOTE]

Larry it has been a while since I've been that deep behind the door panel. I'm Looking at my 81 shop manual now. How many wires are on the plug that plugs in the motor ? the shop manual shows just two- brown and blue. That tells me the motor is grounded through the casing to frame. I think your ground is ok. Make sure all your harness connections are good . What have you found so far?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Yes, the plug to the motor is just two wires, so it must be grounded to the door frame. Can I unplug the harness and test the power to the motor? Test light grounded, so my intuition says yes.

Not working on the car now. Its getting dark here in Houston. Probably tomorrow.

Keep the info coming!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:08 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

The ground is through the frame of the motor, which is through the regulator which is through the door which is through the car. Unless your motor is toast, it almost certainly a bad ground (somewhere). Test the motor by attaching 12V ground to the motor/gear case and 12V positive to the wires (one wire at a time) that connect to the motor.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Help diagnosing power window problem (BBShark)

Thanks, will try that tomorrow. Think I understand.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

posting to get the thread in synch w/the clock
Old 03-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Think I understand.
Larry, all the answers provided here probably aren't as clear as they could be. If you still need help feel free to ask.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Thanks, think I understand how to trouble shoot now. I do have power going to the switch. I suspect don't have power coming out. Going to test the harness to the motor to confirm. But, if I do, then its the motor. Hope replacing that is not monumental for an experienced beginner.

Whoa - says I posted this response at 3:12am on 3/22. Actually posted it 1:12 pn on 3/21. Wassup with that?

[Modified by Larry82, 3:14 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 PM
75MM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for helping Larry, I was having trouble with my window and found this thread and saw your post about the ground. I removed the door to fix the broken wire by the hinge and wonderd why I couldn't get it to work when testing it before I reattached the door.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Not sure this is the record, but reopening a 15 year old thread is close.
The following users liked this post:
75MM (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 PM
75MM
Advanced

I know. Its so cool having this site has helped so much.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 PM
75MM
Advanced

That Older than Dirt could help Larry so long ago and it helped me today.

Get notified of new replies

To Help diagnosing power window problem

Old 06-08-2019, 12:24 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I installed PW in my car this winter. Everything was working perfectly until today. The window will not go up. I got it to work briefly up and down about 5 times. Then it stopped working completely. I do not suspect the switch because I can hear a click coming from the motor and the battery gauge moves. It is like it is stuck down.
Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated .
Old 07-25-2019, 08:36 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Wasn’t there a recommendation to try thumping the door over where the motor is to get it working? Probably helped to ground it better? Or unstick the motor?
Old 08-19-2022, 09:01 PM
Hellah fresh
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Rise this thread back from the dead lol. So my 81 driverside window has stopped working. One thing I noticed about the driver Window was that it always rolled down super fast compared to the passenger side.

When I click the window button up or down I can hear a slight "tic" from the door. To whomever posted in here have you found your problem?

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing power window problem