C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:50 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice

I have seen posts like this many times and it is just a way of saying my Vette is better than your Vette. If I had all the money in the world everything I drove would have a big block. I thought on this forum we tried not to be so vain. Why not get into which years of Vettes look like crap or how any Vette that isn't a vert is junk.

[Modified by 73Ken73, 4:55 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 06:14 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (73Ken73)

Seen them many a time on here as well, and they will show up many a time in the future. Some take them seriously but most have fun with those posts. Vanity, piz'g contests whatever you call it will always be part of it, whether Vettes, Vipers, Ferraris Hondas etc. bikes, boats, planes, snowmobiles and on .... For many it is just part of the fun of ownership no intent to insult or harm and for others it might be how they define themselves. You get nearly the same type of discussion over sidepipes and subs (audio), supercharger vs turbo, carb vs EFI/DFI etc. its fun and quite often informative. :cheers:
Old 03-20-2004, 06:35 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

If I had all the money in the world everything I drove would have a big block.
WHY?, The all aluminum LS6 in the Z06 is so much lighter for the handling of a sports car and produces more power.

Old 03-20-2004, 06:49 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (gdh)

Seen them many a time on here as well, and they will show up many a time in the future. Some take them seriously but most have fun with those posts. :cheers:
:iagree:

It's all in good natured ribbing....no offense should be taken, the small block guys can dish it out as well as the big block guys. If anyone takes offense or takes these posts seriously, they need to lighten up, acquire a sense of humor, and go on with their lives.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:52 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (turtlevette)

Personally, I never get involved in those "who's is bigger" contests.

However, that said, mine is bigger. :jester Though not as big as George's is (502 inches! :eek: Imagine Mrs. Daina's smile! :D )

Lighten up, guys!

[EDIT: Whoops, 533 inches! George got stroked! Kinky!]

JB

[Modified by JB, 5:57 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 07:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (JB)

I agree it's all in fun (even if some of the big block guys are serious:lol: )
nothin I like better than big block small block
shootout

[Modified by MotorHead, 6:06 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 09:50 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (MotorHead)

I don't really take it that seriously either, but it does seem like it is the one topic in which it is okay to rag on all the other Vettes. Look how people get all upset when you mention crossfire injection. The problem is that all us small block guys don't have much of a defense. I would put a big block on my snow blower if I had the time and money. Also to be quite honest I think that all Vettes should have side pipes. Side pipes are so cool and those ugly mufflers on most Vettes look really bad. That being said all Corvettes are cool anyway. :D
Old 03-20-2004, 11:00 PM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not get into which years of Vettes look like crap.........

I know I'm taking this out of context.........but I didn't think any Vettes looked like crap.... :) ........but if we were talking about Mustangs......that's a different story.....those Mustang II's from the 70's really blew chunks...... :)

......all the "debate" is tongue and cheek as far as I'm concerned......I don't think it's meant in a negative way....... :cheers:
Old 03-20-2004, 11:45 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (standup)

......all the "debate" is tongue and cheek as far as I'm concerned..

I disagree.

a small block has weight advantage over a big block for anyone who wants to go around a curve at decent speed.

the big block is a rush to drive in a straight line and has lots of hp potential.

why wouldn't it be a serious debate?

unless some people are capable of straight line thinking only.

[Modified by turtlevette, 11:47 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 11:54 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I'll be honest....I agree with you. Like I replied in that thread, it's all about EGO. I've never had a big block or wanted one. I've ridden in big block cars and I've driven new Vettes. You can make a small block do anything a big block can do and save alot of weight which equals better overall performance. You are right- it's just another way of saying, "I'm better than you." Just like some C5 guys are to the C4 and C3 guys. I've even met chrome bumper guys that acted like I wasn't a real Corvette owner, because my car is a '79. My car will dance circles around most of them-including C5's. I chose this car, because I don't feel guilty about modifying it. When I first got it, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the styling(yeah, I wanted a '69 small block Vert), however over the past 4 years, I've really grown to appreciate it. The bottom line, whether most of you guys want to admit it, is that alot of Vette people are snobs. Most of the people I've chatted with on here seem to be great people. I've met 1979Toy and he is really down to earth-a real car guy. When I've met Corvette people away from the forum, they are typically rude and arrogant. The whole "big block is better" deal is old and just another way of saying "my Vette is better than yours". This is just an opinion and not meant to insult any particular person, so if it hurt your feelings, you are the guilty party.

I have seen posts like this many times and it is just a way of saying my Vette is better than your Vette. If I had all the money in the world everything I drove would have a big block. I thought on this forum we tried not to be so vain. Why not get into which years of Vettes look like crap or how any Vette that isn't a vert is junk.

[Modified by 73Ken73, 4:55 PM 3/20/2004]
:p: :p:

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 10:55 PM 3/20/2004]

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 11:17 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

DUDE! LIGHTEN UP!!!! I started that thread to find out differences between the two motors. Up to this point, I have only owned SB's. It wasn't started to spark a flame war! There is some good info in that thread posted by allot of members. If you want to see flaming, check out any thread pertaining to C5's or their owners. There is one going on right now and I'm not reading a whole lot of nice things about C5 owners. And I own a C5. Jesus H. Christ :rolleyes:
Old 03-21-2004, 12:40 AM
standup
Drifting

......all the "debate" is tongue and cheek as far as I'm concerned....

why wouldn't it be a serious debate?
.......I wasn't referring to the "serious" debate........please notice that I put the word "debate" in quotation marks.....in reference to some of the remarks I've read about the 350 that 73Ken73 is concerned about.......

As a 350 owner, one of my absolute favourites is: Small blocks are OK if your mommy won't let you play with big blocks!

Cheeky???? YES........Serious???? NO.........

As for the serious debate about weight advantage......I totally agree with you :thumbs:
Old 03-21-2004, 12:45 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (Double Aught)

If you want to see flaming, check out any thread pertaining to C5's or their owners. There is one going on right now and I'm not reading a whole lot of nice things about C5 owners.
Yep. And its like 79VetteMike said...whether we want to admit it or not, _most_ Vette owners are snobs. I would say that is not the case on this C3 forum, or any _performance-based_ type forum for these cars (or C5s, for that matter). Before buying a Vette, I was so turned off by the attitude of the typical owner (no matter the vintage) that I swore I'd never own one. My hot-rodding buddies and I would wax 95% of them (again, b/c most Vette owners are show n shine guys who cannot drive, or think stock is fast :lol:) in a straight-line, high-speed road course...whatever venue you want. And we were driving lowly Mustangs. Maybe the typical Mustang owner isn't a snob b/c he doesn't have as nice a car. I don't know. Even then, I do know that a lot of _new_ Mustang owners are disrespectful punks...but you find that everywhere.

But I have seen and read posts of just as many snobby C3 owners as there are C5 owners. it's almost like each vintage thinks the others suck. I don't really get that. I would agree that many C5 owners do not wave, but they just probably aren't as educated...yet. So take the time to educate them, and not with the middle-finger salute, either. ;)

Real car guys do not look down their noses at anything that is really a nice automobile. They also don't look down at others who are newer to the "club" who seek an education. I remember the first time I helped a teenage kid pull the heads off his 5.0 Mustang and install a cam along with heads, full exhaust, etc. I had a blast, and the guy thought I walked on the moon for being nice enough to help and direct the project. Now he does all his own work.

Bottom line is that no matter what you own, you don't _have_ to be an **** about it. Speak softly, politely, and carry a big stick under the hood. Respect others and they will probably respect you. If not, who cares? There are plenty of other "car guys" out there to hang out with.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your car. Just no reason to disrespect another guy's ride just b/c its not identical to yours.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

If I had all the money in the world everything I drove would have a big block.

WHY?, The all aluminum LS6 in the Z06 is so much lighter for the handling of a sports car and produces more power.
Because the LS6 will never have the torque when matched against an equally modded Big Block. Sure you can bore and stroke the LS6 but so can the Big Block and make more power at a lower RPM. An aluminum headed Big Block only about 200lbs heavier than an LS1/LS6, it is added weight, but not a world of difference in handling. I'm sure the Big Blocks don't handle THAT bad they did handle well enough to win LeMans in the early 1970's w/ a 68 427BB.

:cheers:
Old 03-21-2004, 10:12 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (GDaina)

OK I'll come clean about my views of BB (Rosie O'Donnell) vs SB (Paris Hilton) :lol: It all started in the late 50's when my father used to take me for a ride in his modded Ford Custom, he would floor the bloody thing and I'd bounce off the back of the seat and hit my head on the metal dash, skip 10 years my father is driving a GTO he floors the bloody thing and I hit my head on the back of the seat then fwd to hit the stupid dash, 1972 my friend has a Cuda, he floors the bloody thing I nearly break my damn neck spill my beer all over me then hit the frickin dash. Summer 2003 1bad69 floors the bloody thing I hit my head on the top of his open t-top but this time I have a seat belt on and don't hit the gd dash but never the less my bloody head hurts and now it has a dent in it. I have this fear that I'm old, someone calls and ambulance it shows up has a mother of a BB in it, he floors the stupid frickin' think I fly out the back on the stretcher and get run over by a moped. The nightmare continues.... :banghead:
Old 03-21-2004, 10:12 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

a small block has weight advantage over a big block for anyone who wants to go around a curve at decent speed.
not if the big block has aluminum heads...then the advantage is only 70 lbs...I have driven my 68 around curves for many many years in club racing, NCCC sanctioned events at Nelson Ledges, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glenn. The top trophies were Fastest Time of Day on Street Tires and FTD on Rae Tires...only once was I beaten out of an FTD on street tires, and this on my home track, Nelson Ledges...this included all big stock and modified blocks and small blocks, non vettes. Road racing, it's not so much motor, but suspension and driver, and it's 90% driver.

Turtle, I know you think I'm spinning a yarn, so, tell ya what, let's you and I take our vettes for a spin on a road coarse, so you can experience first hand how supposedly, the big block plows through the corners, and by the end of the day, the big block will have the quicker time....again, I stress it's the driver, not the big block.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:16 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (Corey 68)

Because the LS6 will never have the torque when matched against an equally modded Big Block.
:cheers:
don't get hung up on torque. The LS6 produces excellent hp and with the gearing of a 6 speed that produces acceleration that matches or exceeds that of the big block.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice

Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice (GDaina)

Turtle, I know you think I'm spinning a yarn, so, tell ya what, let's you and I take our vettes for a spin on a road coarse, so you can experience first hand how supposedly, the big block plows through the corners, and by the end of the day, the big block will have the quicker time....again, I stress it's the driver, not the big block. hell yea, I'm in Boston so maybe we could meet half way at Watkins Glen? Check out the schedule for Corvette Owners of Massachusetts (COM) http://www.comscc.org/schedule.htm although only a few members own Corvettes anymore, its more of a uppie Miata spec racer/ BMW crowd and they tell me my C3 handles like an oxcart compared to their new cars. When was the last time you were on a track? I'd love for you to show up in a big block car and show them who's boss. :thumbs:

P.S. I noticed you have a vert. I hope you have a roll bar and 5 point harness or they ain't gonna let you on the track. I can send you the rulebook if your serous.

[Modified by turtlevette, 3:37 AM 3/22/2004]

[Modified by turtlevette, 5:12 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 04:43 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

:D
Old 03-22-2004, 05:17 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCCC Grandfather rule, makes me exempt for the roll bar on high speed tracks. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of BB vs SB is not nice