C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any help removing driver side dash??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:58 PM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any help removing driver side dash??

I cheched the archives about this but Im still not much better off. Ive removed my entire interior and now only the lower driver side remains with the steering column. Ive seen that the column has to be dropped.

Is this the key?

Thanks in advance :seeya
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: any help removing driver side dash?? (jaggeedfire)

Is the upper dash removed? I dropped my steering column when i took out my gauge clusters, but dropping the column didnt help much. I dont see why you cant leave the column where it is, just removing the braces that connect under the dash. Can some help out here?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:59 AM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Default Re: any help removing driver side dash?? (lostpatrolman)

The upper is out, but the lower is hanging on the steering column. If I pull up on it and try to slide over the column it still hangs on something....im thinking the wiring harness. Unstrapped it on one side(pass) but im scared of pulling any harder and trashing it......any help please
Old 03-20-2004, 08:07 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Column must be dropped about 2" or so. You do not have to remove it. You will probably need to wiggle and pull on the wire harnesses to get them past the speedo and tach units.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things are probably hanging it up.

First, have a beer and relax. This is real doable.

Next, have you reached up and released the Tach and Speedo cables yet? There is a small tab on a spring clip that you have to simply push on to get the cable to release. If your cables are tight coming thru the firewall, that tension can hang the pad up tight.

There are two "U" shaped cable hangers that the main cable bus lies in. They are attached with a single screw to the back of the lower Tach mount and the lower Speedo mount. You have to fish your hand up under the dash and lift the wiring bundle up and out of these cable hangers. Else, you'll never pull that thing forward - the cable bundle is too stiff. You may be able to see the one on the side of the Tach if your center gauge bezel is already out.

I agree with the post on the steering column. Here is an easy way to handle. Loosen the two bolts on the bracket where the column goes out thru the firewall. You should be able to access that without too much problem. Next back out one of the two vertical bolts on the hanger bracket directly under the column (right in front of your override valves.) Replace the short bolt with a 2.5 inch bolt of the same size. Remove the other shorter bolt and then simply back out the longer one until you have enough clearance. That way, the column stays supported and you don't have to prop it up and impede your access under the dash. You should only have to drop an inch or so. This will make removing the pad fairly easy and reduce the stress on the domed portion of the pad that lies on top of the column.

Watch out for your wiring harness and vacuum line connections to the Headlight switch!

Then drink another beer. :seeya

The following users liked this post:
Hayes69 (07-14-2017)
Old 03-20-2004, 03:18 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Default Re: any help removing driver side dash?? (Skipple)

I think Skipple is right on. One thing I will do the next time my dash comes out is splice extensions into the dash light wires. Mine were so short, I could not get my hand behind the dash to pop them back in. Pay close attention to the vacuum lines for the head lights. I reversed mine and had to do everything over.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Skipple,
I described dropping my steering column and instrument cluster to gain access to the speaker nuts on the underside of the dash pad on the driver side. Your description as to moving the instrument cluster was interesting. However, I don't understand how dropping your steering column and moving the instrument cluster gives you any better access to be able to remove your dash pad.

Jim
Old 03-20-2004, 11:34 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: any help removing driver side dash?? (Jim Shea)

The only problem i can think that you might run into if you dont drop the column is that thin piece of metal brace that runs horizontally just under the upper dash. It might jam the cluster inbetween the column and brace. I did drop my steering column and tie wired it up to that thin brace. I am not sure if dropping the steering column was neccisary though. Doesnt seem like it was.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:29 AM
R 73 454
Racer

I've found, that not necessary, dropping the column gives you just enough clearence to remove the dash. The lower dash seems to be wedged pretty tight down by the column. Those wire clips mentioned above, go a long way in holding the "banjo string tight" dash wiring harness tight to the tach/speedo. Be sure to enjoy a GOOD beer after this project, something like a Spaten Optimater should do!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Default Re: any help removing driver side dash?? (Jim Shea)

Jim-

Jaggeedfire wasn't removing his top dash pad... he was hung up removing his lower driver's dash (cluster). He already had his top pad out. Or, at least thats the way I read it.

I agree, you don't have to do any of this to remove the top pad.

Get notified of new replies

To any help removing driver side dash??

Quick Reply: any help removing driver side dash??