C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 09:55 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height

Will putting in longer rear spring bolts to lower the rear also end up raising the front? I want to lower the rear about an inch, but I don't want to raise the front.

Extra credit question - the drivers side is about an inch lower than the other side. Can I or should I use the rear spring bolt to correct this difference by extending one bolt side longer than the other or is this putting a bandaid on another problem (actually, there should be no problem, at least not in the rear, the rear spring is only a year or two old).
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height (SpyderD)

I shouldn't effect the front. as far as leveling out the rear I guess you can do that but it would be nice to know why one side is lower.

[Modified by 78 Vette, 9:59 PM 3/19/2004]
Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I added extended bolts to drop the rear height of mine and it had no impact on the front height (as I expected). I also used measurements to ensure the car sat level (R to L), as this can be off when you replace the spring, bolts, or bushings.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:15 PM
CruisinCO
Racer

The drivers side being lower is more common than you think.. Mine has it too. Go to a car show and stand behind all the C3's ..I'd bet most are lower on the drivers side.
I also put on the longer spring bolts to lower the rear. It wont effect the front.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:37 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height (CruisinCO)

The drivers side being lower is more common than you think.. Mine has it too. Go to a car show and stand behind all the C3's ..I'd bet most are lower on the drivers side.
:withstupid:

Usually about 1/2" to 1 1/2" or so.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:29 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height (The Dude)

yep mine too
Old 03-20-2004, 09:59 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

One cause of the driver's side being lower is the rubber mounts in the differential crossmember. The torque over the years has stretched the passenger side mount to it's limits. Take a look at your rear crossmember. See if it is equal distance from the frame on both sides- I suspect this may be part of your problem.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Extra credit question - the drivers side is about an inch lower than the other side. Can I or should I use the rear spring bolt to correct this difference by extending one bolt side longer than the other or is this putting a bandaid on another problem
I tried this once and the car did not handle right at all. It actually turns harder or more firm in the opposite direction from the side where you preloaded more. DONT DO IT! Or do it and see for yourself and qucikly crank it back.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:22 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Default Re: Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height (79VetteMike)

One cause of the driver's side being lower is the rubber mounts in the differential crossmember. The torque over the years has stretched the passenger side mount to it's limits. Take a look at your rear crossmember. See if it is equal distance from the frame on both sides- I suspect this may be part of your problem.
I have the '81 differential with the vertical mount and bushings. Still, I am sure 24 years of huge butts in the driving seat would have an impact on all bushings, including body mounts. I may try it with the bolts, although I tend to believe TurtleVette in that it will somehow throw the suspension weight off. Then again, it will be easy to correct to the original setting.

Get notified of new replies

To Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height

Quick Reply: Longer rear spring bolts - impact on front height