C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 09:48 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!!

OK, this problem is actually intermitant. It happened two weeks ago while geting a new tire at Sears. The car has total electrical functunality with the exception of it turning over! Last time thi happened the mechanics couldn't get her to turn over even when trying to jump the car (even at the alternator). Battery was checked and was fine. I left the acr there overnight anticipating having to tow the next morning. I arrive early the next day ( luckely i live up the street) and to my surprise she started up fine!?!?!
She continued to drive just great for the next two weeks untill juts now. I have driven her most of last week and all this week to work and back with no problems and now here i am again, baffled!
The AMP guage on the dash goes crazy when i try to turn her over but nothing else happens. Now, some more background info,...
this car has had the original battery cable side terminals connectors ( originaly for side post batteries) replaced w/ those connectors designed for top post batteries. ( Cut off at the end of the cable) I used to have to sometimes jiggle the + cable to getr ehr started but that has not happened in a while, however i assume these problems are related? well, ehast do you'll think. Replace those old battery post connectors? Could it be a short, Ned new starter,..it starting to really really anoy!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:37 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!! (sharkthehunter77)

Sounds like a bad/loose connection to me. Check and/or clean them all, from battery to frame and battery to starter.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:16 PM
geezer
Instructor

Default Re: Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!! (LAvetteman)

:iagree:
The ground between the engine and frame is critical! Use star washers between the cable and block and between the cable and frame.
Plus check you battery terminals. Look at the cable ends, are they green with corrosion? That + cable is a loooooong one and any extra resistance can really cause a problem.
If, by your user name, the car is a '77 you might want to consider replacing the cables anyway. Hey they are 33 YEARS OLD!!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:35 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!! (sharkthehunter77)

Well, must be some sort of dirty connection. The darn car just started!?!?!? Started like the day she was built. I am taking her into an electrical shop tomorrow anyways after checking for corrosion myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!!

Quick Reply: Vette wont start? Have all lights, radio acessories, amp gauge goes crazy!!!