C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D-port header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:46 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-port header question

I'm trying to find out which headers will fit my 1980 if I put in a ZZ4 with D-port exhausts. Could you share information about which headers have worked for you? I've heard that Hooker and Heddman offer them in ceramic coat which is what I want. But I have read that with the Heddmans you have to remove the steering damper? Huh? What has fit for you ZZ4 folks and what alterations did you have to make if any? I already have a brand new pair of Dynomax coateds(which will be for sale if I buy a ZZ4 by the way...) for standard exhaust port heads, and when I trial fitted them they fit perfectly. Why so much fuss with the D-port angle head versions that I hear of? I sure would appreciate any help! :confused:
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: D-port header question (surfolly)

I ran hooker super comps on my L98 heads and am running them on my fast burn heads now. The Dynomax should work. Use the D port header gaskets.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:14 AM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D-port header question (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks for your help. I recently read in Chevy High Performance magazine where Kevin McClelland (Performance Q & A) answered a letter regarding D-port heads and header fit. He matter of factly mentioned that you could use a die grinder on the top portion of the standard headers opening at the flange to match them up with the D-port heads. Anyway, if I purchase the ZZ motor I could easily take mine and match them up out of the crate before I go any further with it. Thanks again for your advice!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:35 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Default Re: D-port header question (surfolly)

I use the Hooker super comps for angle plug heads. The pipe size is 1 3/4 and i had to die grinder the inside of the pipes to match up to my heads. FelPro D port blue steel head gaskets work great. I also use the ARP exhaust header studs with the small nuts to clear the large pipes.

IMO - studs are the only way to go. I also use a dab of Permatex red high temp to glue each nut in place so they never rotate.

These are my 12 year old headers after i had them recoated last year

Get notified of new replies

To D-port header question

Quick Reply: D-port header question