C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Vette-Run
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help

I just found a 69 427 Auto. The ower says it's in great shape. He bought it from an old Guy. He also said he has owned it for 5 years and has done nothing to the vette it works perfect. He also claims it has a solid frame. I did ask him if it was a numbers matching he said he did not know. ( I have found many Vette owners act real dume when asked a few price effecting questions when selling But when buying they very knowledgable)

Questions

How and what I do I ckeck if it is numbers matching

What you you pay for such a vette "numbers matching vs Non-numbers matching". I am just looking for a ball-park price. Thank you in advance for your help.

[Modified by Vette-Run, 7:35 PM 3/19/2004]

[Modified by Vette-Run, 8:22 PM 3/19/2004]
Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (Vette-Run)

Need more info: Coupe or 'vert? Which 427 engine: 390,400, or 435hp? Other options?

The 4 spds are worth more than the autos; 'verts are worth more than coupes

Matching original engine? The last digits of the engine serial number on the pass side of block just in front of where the cylinder head is bolted to it should match the last digits of the car's VIN which is on the drivers windshield post under the glass viewed from the outside. If the engine number is missing or different, it is not a matching numbers car.

I'd recommend you solicit someone on here who is local to go look at it with you to verify matching numbers and since there are a lot condition gotchas with a vette that a newbie wouldn't know to look for.

Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 1:49 PM 3/19/2004]
Old 03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (Marks69BB)

:iagree: Also would you expect the owner to say it was in bad shape. I doubt if in 5 years there are no problems at all. Sounds like he has not run it for a while. I'm sure there is some work needed but this could work to lower the price. I'm down in South Jersey but I know there are some good guys tha tcould help you out up North. Take someone knowledgeable wit hyou and who does not have any finincial or emotional connection to the car. They won't be biased this way. Good luck. :auto:
Old 03-19-2004, 03:14 PM
rcastor426
Racer

the numbers matching thing is all how you look at it... i personally could care less if the numbers matched or not. i just want a car that looks good and runs better. now if you want it to be a full resto as it came from the factory then i suppose the numbers are important. anyway pick you self up a corvette black book! that will give you all you need as far as researching the numbers.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Vette-Run
7th Gear

Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (rcastor426)

Quote "the numbers matching thing is all how you look at it... i personally could care less if the numbers matched or not. i just want a car that looks good and runs better. now if you want it to be a full resto as it came from the factory then i suppose the numbers are important. anyway pick you self up a corvette black book! that will give you all you need as far as researching the numbers. "

I am with you on this I do not care abought numbers matching, But I have been warned that same shaped vette will differ in price by as much a 40% more for a numbers vette.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Also - "numbers matching" does not necessarily mean "original". There are many ways to restamp blocks - especially Big Blocks. Make sure the casting numbers are correct on the block, as well as the date code, in addition to the VIN and engine suffix code stamp on the front of the motor.

Try to bring an experience person with you. If "correct" is important, the more experienced eyes you can have look it over, the better. There are just too many "numbers matching" cars that aren't "original" or "correct" in Big Block land.

Me, I like 'em non-numbers matching. I'm not willing to pay the ridiculous up-charge for a 100% original car - and then be afraid to drive the darn thing.

Good luck Amigo!
Old 03-20-2004, 06:24 AM
OLD YELLER
Navigator

Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (Marks69BB)

A quick question on the 4 speed being worth more than the automatic. According to the books they produced over 38,000 vettes in 69. Only about 8,000 were automatics so is it true that 4 speeds are worth more. It seems that most muscle cars of that era were 4speeds and the automatic was the rare one. Just wanting to know because I have a 69 L-36 with a automatic.. :crazy:
Old 03-20-2004, 10:38 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (OLD YELLER)

Down to 0% already? If you are "for real" I don't see what you have done to lose so many points. If you are not "for real" please don't waste our time with fake questions. Thanks! :seeya
Old 03-20-2004, 12:27 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help (OLD YELLER)

A quick question on the 4 speed being worth more than the automatic. According to the books they produced over 38,000 vettes in 69. Only about 8,000 were automatics so is it true that 4 speeds are worth more. It seems that most muscle cars of that era were 4speeds and the automatic was the rare one. Just wanting to know because I have a 69 L-36 with a automatic.. :crazy:
I think it boils down to desireability trumping any relative rarity. There's just a lot more demand for 4-speeds.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help

Quick Reply: I found a 69 BB auto, Need Help