C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 04:00 AM
BLU 4ME
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working

When I turn on the headlights the gauges drop out. There was a burnt circuit board which I replaced but the condition still is there. Checked for any grounded gauges to housing and none exist. Any one had the same problem? I have ordered a new headlight switch but know if that is the cause. This all started when I went to turn on my headlight one night and the seat belt and key buzzer started going off for no reason. Then I noticed the gauges were dead. Any help would save what little patience I have left :mad
Old 03-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working (7782vette)

You can try starting here: http://iotech.no/corvette/technical/...tics/index.htm

However, I have found no sources that decode the wiring for the guages. I am currently in a similar situation. I am trying to get my car on the road after a 10 year hiatus. However, none of the center guages work and I don't know jack about the wiring. I did however just order a schematic from http://www.lectriclimited.com based on someones suggestion here.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:42 PM
sjr1971
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working (7782vette)

Is it the gauges or the lights in the gauges that are not working? My 71's oil press gauge is mechnical. Also on the 71 each light is individually wired. If so on the 81 I'd look for an open ground wire.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 PM
BLU 4ME
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working (sjr1971)

It is the gauges that stop working when the light switch is pulled on. But if I dim out the gauge lights the gauges start working normally. I have pulled the dash out and removed all parts. With the gauge fuse in I am reading between the black ground wire and the pink/black which is the power wire to the gauges as well as the gray which is the lights wire. I pulled the fuse and the connection between these wires goes away. Then I checked each wire to ground with the fuse pulled and no connection is there. How can this be if they read with the fuse in they should read with the fuse out if there is a short to ground. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working

Quick Reply: Wiring Gurus" Gauges Stop Working