C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Channel Vette Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speed Channel Vette Show

Speed TV ran a historical piece on the Corvette last night (3/17). It was a nicely done, that is until they got to the C3's. After discussing the '78 pace car, they skipped the rest of the series and moved to the C4's.

I own an '81 (four speed, 34k miles). The '81 appears to be an off year. I can't find any die cast models, TV documentaries and books largely ignore it, except for possibly mentioning the Cross-Fire model. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield; no respect I tell you. What gives?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (Biker)

I watched the show myself, and to cover 50 years of the corvette in 30 minutes is impossible.

On a slightly different subject I am becoming increasingly more frustrated with Speed channel shows. I tried to watch the Barret Jackson car search show last night...but it was 18 minuteso f content, the rest advertising breaks in a half hour....really poor. And its not just that show, its the same way in most of their programming.

Nick
Old 03-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed TV ran a historical piece on the Corvette last night (3/17). It was a nicely done, that is until they got to the C3's. After discussing the '78 pace car, they skipped the rest of the series and moved to the C4's.... I feel like Rodney Dangerfield; no respect I tell you. What gives?
I watched the show myself, and to cover 50 years of the corvette in 30 minutes is impossible.
:iagree: I even have the Corvette 50 Years double DVD, and as cool as it is, as an owner and enthusiast it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Seems like it was produced more for the general public.

That American Muscle Car episode last night was cool though. Here I turned on the Speed channel to watch Speed Racer and I got a Corvette History show. That was a pleasant surprise. Still, in less than a half hour they could only highlight some of the Corvette's most notable moments throughout it's history. '78 was an anniversary year, and also the year of a significant restyle. 'Till 84, what's that notable? The breakthrough of Cross Fire Injection? They could have mentioned that the Vette sold it's highest volume in 1979. Other than that the '79 is not that significant in the grand scheme of Corvette things.

Sorry, but my '79 and your '81 are not that exciting when parked next to '63 splits, L88s, Z06s, ZR1s, pace cars, etc. My car does have it's advantages over those dream Vettes. I can mechanically modify to keep up with or outperform those cars AND drive the h*ll out of it without having to worry about what I'm doing to it's value. I just get to enjoy. The opportunity to acquire a die cast miniature of my car was not a factor in my choice to purchase it. I can't drive a car that little. :chevy
Old 03-18-2004, 04:40 PM
SLine78
Racer

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (Corvette_fetish)

Did you catch the moive they had on Speed last night about the 72 Manufacturers Series Championship narated in part by Mario. While the show focused on Ferraris vs Alphas, you got an occasional glimpse during the race footage of C3s on the track as well.
Race footage included Sebring, French Targa, Lemans, Watkin Glen and a couple others. A comment by one European drivers was the American course "are the worst." :lol:

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (SLine78)

Did you catch the moive they had on Speed last night about the 72 Manufacturers Series Championship narated in part by Mario. While the show focused on Ferraris vs Alphas, you got an occasional glimpse during the race footage of C3s on the track as well.
Race footage included Sebring, French Targa, Lemans, Watkin Glen and a couple others. A comment by one European drivers was the American course "are the worst."
I did indeed miss that. Now I wish I would have watched it.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:23 PM
PB82CE
Pro

Yep, I saw it as well. I was a little disappointed that no mention was made
of the 82 Collector Edition as well. I hear you about the 81 as well.
I collect all kinds of die casts, both cars and trucks, and it seems the
79, 80 and 81 are very hard to find.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (PB82CE)

you want no respect own a1976
docmow
Old 03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (docmow)

you want no respect own a1976
docmow
Yeah, they ripped on the '76 in AMC.
I'd still own one in a second. :thumbs:
Old 03-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (lvrpool32)

On a slightly different subject I am becoming increasingly more frustrated with Speed channel shows. I tried to watch the Barret Jackson car search show last night...but it was 18 minuteso f content, the rest advertising breaks in a half hour....really poor. And its not just that show, its the same way in most of their programming.

Nick
:iagree:

The Barret Jackson car search :nonod: . They send out 3 teams to buy cars & only 2 teams go to auction :confused: Get rid of The Bimbo.( Darla Haun ) :sleep:
Old 03-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (Roscoe's C3's)

Thanks for the feedback on the later model C3's.

Speed TV's programming content is about 60% NASCAR. Anyone know why?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Thanks for the feedback on the later model C3's.

Speed TV's programming content is about 60% NASCAR. Anyone know why?
They make more money showing NASCAR?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:03 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Default Re: Speed Channel Vette Show (THawkbh)

Nascar draws the bucks!
:smash: :smash:
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Channel Vette Show

Quick Reply: Speed Channel Vette Show