C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!!

Question 1:
possibly a stupid question I have speed pro hyperuetic pistons with 2 valve releifs? The pistons dont have a dot or arrow on them to face front so Do I put the piston in so the numbers can be read right side up or upside down?

Question 2: Air Flow Reasearch do they sell Cast Iron Heads? What are good flowing cast iron heads that compare to the AFR 195/195 heads? I am building a 383 and would like to get around 450 HP to 500HP.

Question 3: A couple of my Crankshaft bearing (mostly the thrust bearing) the oil holes dont line up perfectly with the block holes. Do it grind the block out a little or the bearing or leave it alone?

Question 4: What does a clutch boss look like? Do all 350 chevy engines have a clutch boss?

That is all my questions sorry for so many at one time. Thanks :confused:

[Modified by Corvettelvr73, 11:06 PM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!! (Corvettelvr73)

Well, I am by no means the "Answer Man" but I'll give these a shot!

Question 1:
possibly a stupid question I have speed pro hyperuetic pistons with 2 valve releifs? The pistons dont have a dot or arrow on them to face front so Do I put the piston in so the numbers can be read right side up or upside down?
IIRC, you put them in with the reliefs ("eyebrows") towards the middle of the block.

Question 2: Air Flow Reasearch do they sell Cast Iron Heads? What are good flowing cast iron heads that compare to the AFR 195/195 heads? I am building a 383 and would like to get around 450 HP to 500HP.
The GM Vortec heads are about the best value available right now. Depending on where you shop, you should be able to get a complete set, with springs, valves, and everything ready to bolt on for under $500. And I've heard nothing but good, and they flow like nobody's business!!

Question 3: A couple of my Crankshaft bearing (mostly the thrust bearing) the oil holes dont line up perfectly with the block holes. Do it grind the block out a little or the bearing or leave it alone?
I'm not sure that is something that needs to be worried about. The pressure will get the oil to the bearing surface, even if it is misaligned. I'm probably wrong about this though! Check with a real mechanic!

Question 4: What does a clutch boss look like? Do all 350 chevy engines have a clutch boss?
The clutch boss on the engine (I believe) refers to the 1/2" or 9/16" (or thereabouts) threaded hole on the left side of the block, right at the very rear, about halfway down (IIRC) A "ball joint" for lack of a better word, screws into that and that is what the other side of the bellcrank (Z-bar, clutch actuator) pivots on. The other half is on a A-shaped bracket on the frame. I think those went away around 1985 or so when all clutches went to hydraulic.

That is all my questions sorry for so many at one time. Thanks :confused:
I hope I could be of some assistance!! Like I said though, I'm probably wrong on most of this, so make sure other forum members chime in, they know much more than I!! :lol:

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:35 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!! (73sbvert)

oil hole's need to line up, if not there is a loss of volume and pressure
dart also has iron heads, there's more but i can't think of them now sorry
Old 03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Corvettelvr73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!! (Corvettelvr73)

Any more answers to my questions or a book that will help me out a little

Get notified of new replies

To MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!!

Quick Reply: MORE BEGINNER ENGINE BUILDING QUESTION PLEASE HELP!!