C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston ring installation. Please help.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Piston ring installation. Please help.......

Ok I understand the bottom 3 peice setup but I am a little confused on the top and middle rings. These are molly no file fit speed pro rings. the instructions are kinda confusing because they look like they were written for every type of ring they make. The top ring doesn't have a bevel it seems to be a consistent retangular shape. It has a dot on one side. This goes up towards the top of the piston correct? Now the second ring is really the problem it has one side beveled. Does the bevel go to the top of the piston or the bottom? This also has a dot but it is on the oposite side of the bevel. So which side goes up. :confused:

Just for double checking the upper and loweroil ring rails are the same correct? The only trick here is to make sure that the stainless steel expander ring buts up end to end and doesn't overlap correct?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Piston ring installation. Please help....... (BlackRat)

Dots up, bevel down, upper and lower oil rings are both the same.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Piston ring installation. Please help....... (Pete79L82)

I agree ...dots go up.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Piston ring installation. Please help....... (ZL1powr)

Yes dots go up, I am in a similar situation, my first and second rings are identical with small red marks on them and one red mark is darker than the other one except crappy instructions SpeedPro gives you talks about bevels and dots but don't mention the colors.

Like I said mine look identical no bevels just square with the red markings on them amyone have any idea ?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Piston ring installation. Please help....... (MotorHead)

Thanks guys! :cheers: I agree the SP instructions stink! :mad I just wanted to make sure I diidn't put them in upside down. :smash: :eek:

Leaving today to take the family to the beach and the car show. Will be back sunday and putting the bottom end together :hurray: Got all the stuff back from the balance shop yesterday and it is all I can do to keep from going out and putting it together now. I did have to tinker last night though and one set of rings on. :D Hopefully can find a billet timing chain cover and billet pulleys this weekend. PIcs coming soon :thumbs:

Thanks
Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Piston ring installation. Please help.......

Quick Reply: Piston ring installation. Please help.......