C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What rivet tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 07:24 PM
aardvark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rivet tool?

What kind of rivet tool do you use to replace the rivets in the battery box? I am planning to repair my battery box and need a rivet tool to replace the rivets that fasten the battery hold down reinforecments. I am buying a battery hold down kit which includes the five rivets. Also where is the best place to buy this tool?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
motown 71
Racer

Default Re: What rivet tool? (aardvark)

I'm not familiar with the rivets in your kit but try your local parts store.
Probably just a standard pull rivet and they do carry rivet pullers....well 'round these parts they do.
Good luck !
Old 03-17-2004, 09:03 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

What kind of rivet tool do you use to replace the rivets in the battery box? I am planning to repair my battery box and need a rivet tool to replace the rivets that fasten the battery hold down reinforecments. I am buying a battery hold down kit which includes the five rivets. Also where is the best place to buy this tool?

Thanks
You might try:
http://www.yardstore.com/

for rivet guns etc. They are in Wichita, Kansas and carry LOTS of surplus tools from the aircraft industry located here. Looks like an air hammer, a rivet tool (mushrooms the rivet head), and a bucking bar (supports the back of the rivet) are what you need.

The rivets were done originally because they are cheap and easy to install on a production line. Unless it HAS to be original, why not just afix the supports with some stainless cap screws? A few nuts and bolts will work just fine, and they are bound to cost less than a one-time use of rivet tools.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Not long ago someone asked a similar question about the rivets used on the firewall. I vaguely remember someone stating that Zip Corvettes or some other vendor has the tool and will rent it to you for a deposit fee. Too bad the search tool doesn't work.
It hasn't been very long ago, so you might be able to page back through the posts and find it.
Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 PM
aardvark
Intermediate

Default Re: What rivet tool? (mapman)

I like your idea about the stainless cap screws. I will do that. Thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

I am thinking about buying one of these guns, but I have a question. How does the bucking bar work? Do you just hold the bar behind the flat head of the rivet or do you clamp it against it? I am replacing some body rivets this week so any help would be great.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:46 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: What rivet tool? (vetteboy1976kr)

It will hold by supporting the flat and rounding over the shaft of the rivet, but
you will get a more secure job by tapping on the flat of the rivet first.
This helps to hold the two pieces tightly together as the shaft of the rivet expands
enough to grab the two pieces. Once the rivet sets inside the holes, then you can
go to the end and round it over nicely.

Me - I choose stainless steel pop rivets to replace the aluminum rivets.
:seeya
Old 03-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: What rivet tool? (vetteboy1976kr)

If the rivets are flat heads, You must use a flat rivet snap on the gun, usually, the gun goes on the flat side of the rivet and you push hard to keep it from skipping. The bucking bar is pressed on the other side with a little less pressure, be carefull not to flatten the rivet to much, or they lose there strength. Rule of thumb, if you have a 1/4inch rivet, it should not flatten more than an 1/8.. good idee is to practice on the bench... I've just given you a basic course in aircraft work..... :cheers:
Old 03-27-2004, 02:35 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What rivet tool? (mapman)

:iagree:

I use these guys too. Best prices around and they ship quick. Just use stainless pop rivets if you don't need the factory look.

Get notified of new replies

To What rivet tool?

Quick Reply: What rivet tool?