C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true miles on car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
grande78
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true miles on car

hi we have a 1975 corvette that has the original brakes that are rivited on the car . the odometer reads 14281 miles . we go the car 3 years a go from the 2nd owner . he had the car for 10 years. he said he only took it out once every other month . do you guys think that thats the correct miles? :auto: thanks

[Modified by grande78, 8:44 PM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: true miles on car (grande78)

Assuming he's truthful about his driving, that accounts for the last 13 years, which takes you back to 1990 roughly. Can't imagine the first owner driving the car that little in 15 years? Unlikely, but I know there are legitimate low mile original cars out there.

My guess is it's either 114K or....odometer was disconnected/broken at some point. If it's the real deal, none of the "wear" items would have been replaced, only "age" items. Interior items such as pedals, carpet, seats, door panels, ***** should have minimal wear. Scratches (around ignition, console for example) should be nonexistant.

Did you attempt to verify mileage based on condition of various components when you got it?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 PM
grande78
7th Gear

only repairs where the suspension bushings .the rotors are the original .would the bushing root out form the car just being park.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Without out the document trail with odometer readings, I don't know if you ever really know. I have found rubber parts aren't great indiators. All rubber on 25yr. old cars seems to be dry and rotted; low miles or not.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:13 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: true miles on car (gliot1)

Without out the document trail with odometer readings, I don't know if you ever really know. I have found rubber parts aren't great indiators. All rubber on 25yr. old cars seems to be dry and rotted; low miles or not.
:iagree:
Presuming thee is no documentation, all the usual wear type items (brakes, shocks) and the interior items I mentioned earlier should be the original, albeit any rubber parts likely rotten. Without any real proof, I would simply presume that the mileage indicated is not accurate. My car reads about 48,000 miles...but I believe it's off by perhaps 100k or 200k......
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

My 70 had just over 100K when I got it. The last title (previous owner) at purchase had 97K on it when he bought it 15 years ago. He bought it for investment. So in the first 15 years it had 97K put on it.

In your case I would say it is 115K not 15K. I seriously doubt that rotors would wear out after 15K. I had to replace mine and the were measured at right on the tolerance.

Assuming (always a dangerous thing to do) that rotors and pads (another guess) were fairly common across corvette years. Measure the rotors. Find out the tolerance and then guestimate based on the wear what you think the mileage would be.

knowns: Original rotors, original rotor measurement (OM), current rotor measurment (CM), Worn Measurement (WM) (min specs for rotors) -approx 100K till worn (from my worn rotor data)
unknown: 15K or 115K?

Guestimated Mileage=((OM-WM)/(OM-CM))*100K
When WM=CM then rotors are worn.

Note that I know this is vague but it is better then nothing!

Get notified of new replies

To true miles on car

Quick Reply: true miles on car