C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 to 2004R auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:35 PM
fjetb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 to 2004R auto

I have a 71 roadster with PB, PS, A/C, 350/270. I've read a number of threads about this conversion to the 2004R, I know about Bowtie trannies, and I think some of you have done this conversion. I really would like to know:
1. How hard is it to do? I mean, does this tranny simply fit nicely under the car where the old one was? if not, what must be changed?
2. Do you keep the inside console stock? and use existing linkage? are there any other inside changes that need to be made to the stock interior?
3. Does it just bolt to the engine with no problems? if not, what do you do?
4. What is an approximate amount of cost to do the whole switch out if you do it yourself?
5. If you have a local tranny shop do it, what is a ballpark figure for that?
6. Does it increase or decrease heat or noise inside?

Finally, has anyone used Phoenix Remanufactured transmission to get a unit? I saw on ebay the cost for a 2004R was $550.00, is that about right? too cheap? too expensive?
Thanks for any information you can give me. :D

[Modified by fjetb, 8:48 PM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: TH400 to 2004R auto (fjetb)

1. How hard is it to do? I mean, does this tranny simply fit nicely under the car where the old one was? if not, what must be changed?

Trans fits perfectly. Yoke and universal needs to be changed.

2. Do you keep the inside console stock? and use existing linkage? are there any other inside changes that need to be made to the stock interior?

The detent on the shifter needs to be changed to match the trans position but the linkage is the same. The detent is welded to the shifter and has to be ground off for the new one to be installed. Some of the guys have just reworked the existing one. I found it just as easy to put the new one on.

3. Does it just bolt to the engine with no problems? if not, what do you do?

Bolts up just like the TH400 including the trans mount crossover.

4. What is an approximate amount of cost to do the whole switch out if you do it yourself?

I did mine while I had the motor out but you should be able to do it yourself in a weekend.
Cost me about $1700 for trans, converter, flex wheel (not necessary if your is in good shape), yoke/universal, dipstick tube, brake switch (disengages lock up converter when brake is applied), TV cable hook-up for carb, etc...

5. If you have a local tranny shop do it, what is a ballpark figure for that?
Can’t help here

6. Does it increase or decrease heat or noise inside?

No noticeable change. Maybee noise is lower on the highway because of the lower rpm's

Time is need to get the TV setup correct but it is not that hard.
http://hometown.aol.com/bmclau5079/page4.html
Old 03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
fjetb
Racer

Default Re: TH400 to 2004R auto (redwingvette)

Thanks, redwing. good info and pics at your site.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Hershey
Racer

Default Re: TH400 to 2004R auto (fjetb)

fjetb, I noticed that you are in Thomasville. I live in Valdosta, and changed my 75 to 200R-4 about 4 years age and did it myself. Give me a call ( 241-1736 ) and I'll tell you all about it and I also know of one here that you can get for $450 or less. It is a very easy swap that you can do and it makes a lot of difference. Herehey :chevy
Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 PM
fjetb
Racer

Default Re: TH400 to 2004R auto (Hershey)

Thanks, Hershey...I will call you tomorrow.
Brian :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 to 2004R auto

Quick Reply: TH400 to 2004R auto