C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 5leaf spring installed! (Several pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default New 5leaf spring installed! (Several pictures)

Spring done :D

Anyone needing to remove some fillings? This sucker will jar your teeth out now!! Actually it's not all that bad, I was seeking out the potholes to test it. One particularly big bump (when I had just started out) sent my head into the ceiling though! Solution? Racing seats and a 5point harness! :cool:

This is a 400lb/in spring vs. the stock under 200lb/in spring. It should be alot better balanced around the corners than it was this weekend at the autocross. I already had the front springs upgraded so it was understeering ALOT.

Pictures of the process::
Old 9-leaf, soft spring

New 5leaf, hard spring

Old rusty spring out

Now there's a little nub on the top of the leafspring, and I think the new one might've been a little bigger?? It seem to only contact it's base at the one point, which can't be good. Don't wanna crack the differential case! I need to look into what's up with this...

Here it is successfully installed! Notice it is dark, I started about 6pm or so, and packed up and went for a test drive at about 7:30. Obviously, I got a few weird looks in the dorm parkinglot.... used to it by now.

Notice the spring sits very flat, and it was only slightly arced at rest. I am a little worried that the cups will pop out on sharp corners. At full droop there is no need to jack the spring to get at the bolts, as it is already inches away from the lower bushing!

A few pictures of the rideheight, it seem to be at a reasonable level, but I need to measure it. All of these are after the test drive I believe.

It was at 29" before the swap, I believe it is at that, or lower, now.

I really need to figure something out about the "nub" problem, I hope I don't have to drill into the diff. Otherwise, it went very smoothly. Balljoints will have to wait for another day though.

:cheers:,
Chris

[Modified by RUXperienced, 9:34 PM 3/16/2004]

[Modified by RUXperienced, 9:35 PM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 11:37 PM
stingray72
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 5leaf spring installed! (RUXperienced)

You're going to have to take it back off and grind the head of the center bolt down or it WILL crack the diff case....if it didn't already.
Good luck!

George
Old 03-17-2004, 12:19 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New 5leaf spring installed! (stingray72)

Crap. I didn't hear any cracking, but I'll have to check tomorrow. Hope I didn't damage it... if I did I'll have to spring for a new HD cover...

Should've done the smart thing and been patient. I'll let you guys know what I find tomorrow.

-Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

It didn't crack it, I will disassemble and grind tonight, hopefully I can grind it down with just my power drill and little grinding attachment.

In other news, this thing sits way low! Granted it's at the lowest point of adjustment on my 7 1/2" bolts, but it's definitely lower than it was before with the 9leaf in the same bolt position. I will get a measurement later, I would guess maybe 2" lower than the 29" it was before.

-Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You at K-State? Just wondering by mentioning that you were working in the dorm parking lot and you live in the little apple.

Where did you get your leaf at?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:21 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New 5leaf spring installed! (Ak. Mal)

Yup, I do, I actually had somebody PM me the other day and ask if I'm in Manhattan, then when I said yes they never said anything back, hmm.

Anyway, I used a hacksaw and chopped about 1/8" off the head of the bolt, so it now fits flush. Hopefully I will have a chance soon to really test it out :steering: I bought it from VBP (www.vbandp.com) for about $140 plus shipping. I am very curious why the head of that bolt is 1/8" longer than the original one, what was this made to fit? Otherwise I was happy with it, and I like the way it rides now.

-Chris

Edit: The rear sits at about 28" now. It's handy that just slightly jacked up the spring is off the bolts (possibly not true with stock-length ones) as it makes bolt changes etc, much simpler. But could be a problem if wheels go to droop while driving...

[Modified by RUXperienced, 12:24 AM 3/18/2004]
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Old springs sag. So true ride height can only be determined with a manual and the stock measurements. Whenever you replace a Vette rear spring it’s a good idea to measure or take a picture of how much down angle your half shafts have. Although your ride height measurement of 29 inches accomplishes about the same thing.

I like my 420 inch pound rear. But my additional 6 inches of rear wheel width because of my 17 X 11 wheels makes the ride more complaint. (Mechanical Leverage)

Yes, a five point race seat does make you feel like part of the car when you’re out sliding around.
:auto:
Old 03-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I do, I actually had somebody PM me the other day and ask if I'm in Manhattan, then when I said yes they never said anything back, hmm.
Nope, not me. But an odd coincidence to say the least.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 5leaf spring installed! (Ak. Mal)

Brother 4 words for ya.

Wire brush and rustoliem (spel?)
Old 03-23-2004, 02:12 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: New 5leaf spring installed! (Cali,68,L-79)

Brother 4 words for ya.

Wire brush and rustoliem (spel?)
I've seen worse rust ... especially for doing donuts in the snow.

:seeya
Old 03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Spring done :D

...I already had the front springs upgraded so it was understeering ALOT.

Understeering is when the back end pushes the car and the front end plows. If the front springs/bar/shocks are tighter than the rear then you'd have an oversteer where the rear wants to come around. Tightening up the rear will only make understeer worse since the load weight gets transferred more to the front. You sure you're understeering?

With my smallblock on 550 in/lb and tight shocks, I very slightly oversteer with the stock rear spring and no rear bar.

Get notified of new replies

To New 5leaf spring installed! (Several pictures)

Quick Reply: New 5leaf spring installed! (Several pictures)