C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:47 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69

I need your opinions on getting a full new system for the '69. It's a '73 454 engine in there, and I think I want to go back to manifolds from headers.

First: has anyone used these manifolds: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33632

Second: Which mufflers should I go with? Who should I buy from?

Third: Buy exhaust pipes or have them made locally? Who should I buy from?

I'm trying to keep the overall cost down, and I decided to use manifolds for a more stock look. Decided against sidepipes due to cost and burning my daughters.

Opinions, help and feedback wanted...THANKS!!!

Sam
Old 03-17-2004, 10:26 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69 (sammyb)

ttt
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69 (sammyb)

Those are good looking manifolds but I am a header fan. I don't know how those manifolds compare to headers but headers are cheap enough.
For an exhaust I cut and splice mine together from 304 stainless. I got a number of 3 inch 90 degree stainless bends and started splicing them into 304 stainless staight pipe. While this requires someone to weld the sections together it makes for a really nice fitting manrel bent exhaust.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69 (norvalwilhelm)

:iagree: I'm also a header fan, and like you said the car doesn't have the original motor, so it won't hurt the value. I had my 2.5" exhaust custom bent and welded locally, but bought my headers, X-pipe, and mufflers from Jeg's :cheers:
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69 (norvalwilhelm)

There is another active topic about those manifolds. Somebody who has a pair says they work just fine. I had a lot of fun replacing my exhaust system with a vendor set. I have Flowmaster 50s (bought from Summit). I ended up buying 2 sets of exhaust pipes - one set for the stock configuration and the other set for headers. I chopped up one set and installed an H pipe. This was all a tremendous amount of fun :rolleyes: but now I am ready to take it to a pro and have a custom exhaust system made, which I should have done in the first place. I have probably spent $600 - 700 on exhaust pipes, tips and assorted hardware.

When you install a vendor supplied exhaust by yourself and you use aftermarket mufflers (like Flowmasters) you have to use a bunch of clamps on each side of the muffler (connections are made with elbows, so you have 2 clamps on each elbow). It's not very tidy. If you buy a "stock style" exhaust that already has mufflers welded in it's not as bad.

In conclusion..... I recommend finding a decent muffler shop and have them bend you a custom system! (You can buy the mufflers of your choice from a discount mailorder vendor). :) MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69

Quick Reply: Opinions and help: full new exhaust system for the '69