C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
J R C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there?

Been lookin' through the archives and haven't found any yet ... appears that this was a single year color (need a repaint and thinking of factory color alternatives ... original was Corvette Orange, now an "unknown" shade of Red). Although I was able to get my hands on an original '74 paint chip chart it's hard to imagine what the whole car would look like. I'll probably end up with Mille Miglia Red but, something a bit different but a factory color might be good. Any '74's that have made a color change feel free to chime in ...

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2004, 06:44 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there? (J R C)

I personally loathe the fact that so many Corvettes get painted Resale Red. However, with your medium saddle interior, I do not think that a gray exterior color would look very well in contrast to the interior color. I think that Corvette Orange looks great with the saddle interior, plus it's the original color. If you're dead set against that, then you could also choose either Dark Blue, Medium Red, or Dark Green. Each of these colors would work well with your interior.

Shannon
Old 03-16-2004, 07:25 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there? (sb69coupe)

:withstupid: However, if you want a gray Vette, you can look at the link in my signature. :chevy
Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there? (J R C)

An old woman in her sixties has an original '74 Corvette Gray roadster with an L-48 automatic, most options and Silver Leather interior not far from me. She drives it year round. Color reminds me of the new Spiral Gray on the '03('04?) C5.
It was, without a doubt, the rarest '74 color produced, followed by '74 Dark Green.

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 7:44 PM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 07:35 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there? (sb69coupe)

.... I think that Corvette Orange looks great with the saddle interior, plus it's the original color...
:iagree: Gray would only look good with dark interior. For light interior, you should choose a dark color. Personally, I like the orange now. No other car could pull an orange as well as a C3 does :D
Old 03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
J R C
Racer

Default Re: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there? (desi)

Thanks for the replies and forwarding pic's so far ... yes I thought that the gray against a med. saddle interior might not work well but I know the C5's allowed an oak interior with pewter and the latest gray. The C5 "oak" is much lighter and less "tan" looking than my interior so maybe that's why it seems to work OK. I have seen Orange w/med saddle up close (at the Corvette Museum a year back had a '75 'Vert on display ... very low miles all original) its a nice color combo but to be honest I think I would tire of it after awhile (no offense to the Orange Crush crowd!). On the forum I've also seen a Chicago area '74 that used 50th Anniversary Red which might be a possibility.

Has anyone else used a more contemporary 'vette color out there that they would want to share? :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there?

Quick Reply: Any photo's of '74 Corvette Gray out there?