C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another paint thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:21 PM
73'Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another paint thread...

Ok, here's the deal. I got my tax refund back so it's time to start looking at paint prices. I've been searching for info on paint on about 3 message boards, and I'm totally lost now. I want a paint that will be easy for a first timer to apply, and will be durable enough to last for years to come. The two most common brands mentioned are PPG and DuPont. Both of these brands have a high end and a lower end paint system. PPG being Deltron(high) and Omni(low), and DuPont having ChromaSystem(high) and Nason(low).

I've called a few places here locally that dealt with PPG, and it looks like 1gal of epoxy primer, 1 gal of BC, and 1 gal of CC run about $400 for Omni, and $800 for Deltron. These prices also include the necessary hardeners and reducers. I haven't even priced DuPont yet, because I was told that DuPont was even more expensive.

I am on a pretty tight budget so I really need to know if the "economy" line of paints will work. If anyone has any first-hand experience with any other manufacturers, I'm all ears. Also, I plan to put a couple coats of primer, 2-3 coats of BC, and 2-3 coats of CC. Exactly how much primer, BC, and CC do I need to purchase?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:50 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (73'Vette)

Did the PPG paint supplier also tell you that you better buy a self contained air supply system if you're going to spray BC/CC? If not, better price that equipment into your budget, unless you want to shorten your life span by about 20 years
Old 03-16-2004, 09:10 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dupont is very competively priced with PPG or any of the top brands. If cost is a major concern you may want to consider Nason. It is a very good product for the money, but I know if you put on Dupont you will be glad you did and in a short time you will not miss the extra money it cost you. Craig :cheers:

PS. You should not need a gallon of epoxy. 2 quarts should be plenty.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
SCCACFC
Instructor

Nason is a PPG house brand and works fine.
Don't forget its all in the prep not the paint!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:39 PM
geezer
Instructor

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (SCCACFC)

I did a complete color change on a '78 in the summer of '02. PPG products. Total material bill came to $1000. Color, clear, primers, tape, paper, reducers, bondo, catalysts, etc. I would estimate that you could add 10% to that total today. Don't cheap out, do it right the first time. This is a BIG job and the last thing you want to do is to have to do it over!
P.S. A Deltron BC/CC paint job on my own '69 still looked good 15 years later!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (geezer)

I did a complete color change on a '78 in the summer of '02. PPG products. Total material bill came to $1000. Color, clear, primers, tape, paper, reducers, bondo, catalysts, etc. I would estimate that you could add 10% to that total today. Don't cheap out, do it right the first time. This is a BIG job and the last thing you want to do is to have to do it over!
P.S. A Deltron BC/CC paint job on my own '69 still looked good 15 years later!
:iagree: It's sooooo much labor, don't cut yourself short to sve $400. Also, you need to plan on renting, buying or borrowing a fresh air system. Urethane paint is nasty stuff and carbon filters don't stop the toxins from getting into your body. Just because others have painted without fresh air is no reason to do it too. Read the safety literature from the paint manufacturers. It's not worth the risk!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:20 AM
80TPIVette
Advanced

I have painted 9 cars and a camper shell using Nason and have never had any probs. I also use a charcoal type respirator that you can buy at your local auto paint store or Home Depot. I've haven't had any probs thus far. I know some on here will cringe that I haven't used a fresh air system, but we had ventilation fans in our homemade paint booth, and I haven't experienced any health probs yet. Going on 3 years using the same approach. Granted, I'm not painting everyday, but have you ever watched The Biker Buildoff or American Chopper? I've seen those guys in the booth....spraying....with NO mask AT ALL!! Could be the massive vent system they use.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:47 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (80TPIVette)

I also use a charcoal type respirator that you can buy at your local auto paint store or Home Depot. I've haven't had any probs thus far.
You're a walking dead man....when you smell the fumes with the respirator on, it's too late for ya....

Granted Laquer won't kill ya with the respirator, but BC/CC will...I'd see a doc, and take the label from the paint can with ya, listen to what he says...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (GDaina)

I also use a charcoal type respirator that you can buy at your local auto paint store or Home Depot. I've haven't had any probs thus far.

You're a walking dead man....when you smell the fumes with the respirator on, it's too late for ya....

Granted Laquer won't kill ya with the respirator, but BC/CC will...I'd see a doc, and take the label from the paint can with ya, listen to what he says...
:iagree: Lost a family member/friend to Iso posioning and
You have to remember also that Iso's are absorbed through the skin so you'll need complete coverage for your arms etc. as well.

Steve

[Modified by stpman, 11:00 AM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (stpman)

well i know first hand what it can do to you.I painted way too many years without a mask and now i pay the price for not being able to breath right.Im sure i lost a good 20 years off my life,i now use a fresh air respirator.Not just breathing but what it does to your central nervous system.If you think its a joke wake some night and not being able to even use an inhaler cause you cant bring any air whats so ever into your lungs,you just hope and pray you get one more gasp to use your inhaler.It scares the crap out of my wife. :yesnod:

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 11:15 AM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
73'Vette
Racer

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (patsnitrovette)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I may have to find a semi-cheap paint shop to do the work, which probably means I'll have to squeeze more cash out of the wife. It's the route I'd like to take, but trying to convince her of that is the problem. Anyone know of some good shops in the DFW area? There's always MAACO's. :) I know that "M" word will spark some varied opinions.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:25 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (patsnitrovette)

I don't mean to crash this thread, but I have an important question about the fresh air system. I want to paint my 76, but not without a clean air supply. Funds are limited, and I don't have the $$ for a system. Could I use air from my compressor if it was filtered well? I can get a fresh air mask for about $100 used, and I thought maybe I could use compressed air turned down to 20 PSI or so to supply a mask. I have also been told I could use a scuba tank, but I would have to keep refilling that. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (vetteboy1976kr)

Scuba tank will work, you also have to portect your skin as your skin will absorb the nasties. The whole fresh air supply system, mask, seperate compressor, lines, the body suit you jump into, around $1,400.00

In fact a wet suit will work just as well.

Would anyone play Russian Roulette? Spraying BC/CC withouth the proper equipment is equates to the same thing.

[Modified by GDaina, 6:02 PM 3/17/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 06:14 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

would they really sell this stuff if it was that dangerous?

to hear you guys talk, you would think we are talking about nerve gas or something.

i have the House of Kolor videos and they paint urethanes with a regular mask only.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (turtlevette)

I don't think your air compressor air is good enough. for any othe rquestions check out this site, the first thing they will tell you there is DO NOT spray BC?CC without a fresh air system.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Steve :steering:
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (stpman)

basecoat is extremely harmful either by inhalation or getting on your skin. too many carcinogens, therefore, Fresh air systems are a must...but many times i see guys paint with just respirators, and have problems later on in life.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:49 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Yet another paint thread... (turtlevette)

to hear you guys talk, you would think we are talking about nerve gas or something.

i have the House of Kolor videos and they paint urethanes with a regular mask only.
:skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: you are either incredibly stupid or ignorant or both. BC/CC...ahhhh what's the use...go ahead, believe what you want, spay that stuff with only a mask, just make sure your house is in order cause you gonna die boy....sooner than you think

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another paint thread...

Old 03-17-2004, 06:59 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

who wants to sit around in a rest home at 80+ anyway?

I sprayed the Dupont chroma system in 91 and nobody at that time said anything about a freash air system. This must be some sort of new trend and i'm not convinced if i spray 1 car outside once every 10 years and use a good mask that i'm going to get cancer and die.

I'm going to check with professional shops in my area to see what they do.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
wacked
Race Director

Location: If the world didnt suck, we would all fall off. Troy,Ohio.
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

:skep: :skep: :skep: :skep: you are either incredibly stupid or ignorant or both. BC/CC...ahhhh what's the use...go ahead, believe what you want, spay that stuff with only a mask, just make sure your house is in order cause you gonna die boy....sooner than you think
:iagree:
That stuff is NASTY.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:06 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the PPG paint supplier also tell you that you better buy a self contained air supply system if you're going to spray BC/CC? If not, better price that equipment into your budget, unless you want to shorten your life span by about 20 years
Absolutely correct. Unless you are spraying the old style lacquer you better be ready to invest upwards of $500 for a fresh air system because the new paints make dead people. If you want a good site to research paint go here:
http://www.autobodystore.com/

You'll get all the information you need there and you'll be able to talk with some pro's and semi-pro's and get advice on different products. Just don't think you can save on the safety aspects because a shiny car isn't worth dying over.

Quick Reply: Yet another paint thread...