C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracks in the dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cracks in the dash

I'm toying with the idea of recovering my dash myself. If it doesn't work it has to be replaced anyways, so I'm not really hurting myself if it doesn't work.

I need to know what would be the best way to fill and smooth the cracks so they don't show when covered. I've thought about using an expanding foam and shaving off the lump to make it smooth. I doubt that would be the best way, but it was all I could think of.

Anyone here ever done it or know what I should use?

btw this is for an 80
Old 03-16-2004, 02:57 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Cracks in the dash (Ak. Mal)

In the '70s they used crushed velour (really!) :jester
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
slvrbullit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought the best material was bondo. You can fill the cracks, let it dry then sand it to a sooth finish, then recover it.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Default Re: Cracks in the dash (page62)

Um...I'm not going that route, but thanks for playing todays game. :jester

Seriously, I plan on covering it with black leather or vinyl. Neither will cost much from a fabric store.

I just have to fill the cracks and smooth everything out so they don't show through.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Default Re: Cracks in the dash (slvrbullit)

I always thought the best material was bondo. You can fill the cracks, let it dry then sand it to a sooth finish, then recover it.
I thought about that but I was worried about the bondo seperating from the dash then popping up under the cover. Do you think that will happen?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:55 PM
slvrbullit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure. But I think bondo pretty much bonds to aything.....

Bondo Body Filler
Bondo is the "original" all-purpose plastic filler. Comes complete with cream hardener. When mixed, Bondo hardens in minutes to a hard, lightweight plastic, which will adhere to almost anything. It can be sanded, ground, or rasped to shape when hard. Useful in mannikin alterations, fish recreations, habitat building, fish taxidermy, mold making, mannikin repairs, game head taxidermy, and much more! Literally dozens of uses in every shop! When mixed with Polytranspar Lay-Up Resin, it makes the perfect compound for the "bonded ear method." And now, you can get original Bondo Body Filler with cream hardener from WASCO at an excellent price! Bondo is non-shrinking, non-reactive, and permanently durable. Use it to quickly repair metal, wood, steel, plastic, or just about anything. Cannot be shipped by air.

Code Item Description Ship. Wt. Price
DB132 1 Quart Bondo Kit 2 lb. 4 oz. 7.95
DB101 1 Gallon Bondo Kit 8 lb. 9 oz. 17.95

Taken from: http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/16/bondo.html

I know there is some weird info in there but basically it seems like it would be perfect to repair the dash.

[Modified by slvrbullit, 3:05 PM 3/16/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Cracks in the dash

Quick Reply: Cracks in the dash