C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders?

I hope you folks don't mind me bringing this topic up again, but what has been your experience with companies that build and sell 200R and 700R transmissions? I see the names of Bowtie Overdrive, California Performance Transmission, and Art Carr for example. I'd like to install one myself in my '80, with a 425HP small block and a 3.73 rear. Who do you think is the best to deal with? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:38 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (surfolly)

TTT

I'd be interested to know also.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:09 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (Buffalo Dude)

I bought my 200-4r from Bowtie & everything did as they said & all parts (TV Made EZ, etc) fitted without any problems. The tranny was shipped in a decent box & I wasn't ripped off by excessive "shipping & handling" charges that people love to slap on us these days. The installation & set up instructions were very comprehensive & following them made the job really easy (so easy, in fact, that I thought I was doing it wrong for a while!). Bowtie themselves were also very informative and helpful, but they don't answer emailed dumb questions (you'll have to post those sort of questions here :lol: ).
After installation they called me to go through the line pressures that I'd got. Companies a couple of miles from me don't call me with support for their products, or let me know that an ordered part has arrived, so I was well impressed that Bowtie gave me a transatlantic call. Or maybe they just wanted to check if we all sound like Hugh Grant?!
The transmission itself has been great, shifts are just what/where I want, no leaks & it's a big, big improvement for the C3. As to whether it can take the power levels of other peoples transmission rebuilds, I haven't a clue.... it's nestling behind an L81 :(
I'd have no hesitation in using Bowtie again & a lot of other companies would do well to take note of their customer support :yesnod:
Do I get my kickback now? :jester
:cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (UKPaul)

I've heard mixed experience with bowtie, some say they're great some say not so great. I guess the only way to find out is to try it yourself. I'll be looking at their stuff at the pomona swap meet probably around june so I'll post what I find.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:14 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (UKPaul)

Thanks for your response. It sounds like Bowtie provided good service across the pond! I'm planning to install a new crate engine as well as the overdrive trans at once, which I'm sure will produce some headaches with first-time startups. I may splurge for the dyno cost to eliminate potential problems with engine start-up and tuning. Thanks again for your input!

Old 03-16-2004, 07:20 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (Buffalo Dude)

Thanks Buffulo. I appreciate the input.
If you have a minute, let me know what you think of Bowtie from the Pomona meet. It's not cheap , but "nothing ventured nothing gained", and I'm ready to get the car together and doing some driving. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:12 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (surfolly)

I was happy with my purchase from BTO. They talked me through the setup so that I understood what I needed to do.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders? (redwingvette)

Thanks for your response. I suppose I'm a candidate for the Level Three 200R. For you folks that have purchased BTO transmissions... do they shift firmly enough? I currently have a Turbo 350 that shifts very hard and I'm used to it. I'm not sure if I would want a smooth shift if that makes any sense. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:31 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Mine shifts very strong, up-shifts from 1st to 2nd chirps tires so much that I have to work to not let it.

Get notified of new replies

To What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders?

Quick Reply: What has been your experience with 200R and 700R builders?