C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:27 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies in gear

Can't find or hear any vacuum leaks...I know the carb is out of tune but it does idle fine at about 1000 in park. (By out of tune I mean I haven't done the lars paper yet..it's rich) Starts up fine with starter fluid...(won't start without, but I only start maybe once a week) Can't figure this on out. Right when I go into drive she dies a few seconds later.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Car dies in gear (munday)

Mine does this from time to time. It seems to be when I don't drive it for a while (like longer than a week). I usually just have to warm it up really good then give it a bit of gas when putting it in gear (hold the brake of course) and she runs fine from there on out.

Let me know if you find the main cause.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 AM
3joh
Pro

I ran into this in the past. The car starts fine, idles fine , but as soon as you put it in gear it dies. The fusible link at the starter was melted through. replaced link and it took care of the problem.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 AM
71forKen
Instructor

I have the same problem right now. Had to use the starting fluid because the plugs were fouled from running too rich and sitting for a while. Car runs fine in park but when shifting into gear dies quickly. After letting the engine warm up it will actually stay running in gear but at a slow lope. I've bought all new vacuum hoses and fuel lines/filters and I'm going to install them this weekend and see if that fixes the problem. I hope! Will let you know!

Get notified of new replies

To Car dies in gear

Quick Reply: Car dies in gear