C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power booster test

Old 03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power booster test

M brakes went "squishy" this weekend. Is there a way to test and see if the power booster went belly up? I did replace my front rotors so there just might be air in the system but I thought I'd check the booster anyway.
And also if it is my power booster is it possible to get rid of it and go manual brakes?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
tom102
Instructor

Default Re: power booster test (TTop Tony)

Usually when the power booster fails the brake pedal gets very hard with reduced stopping power just the opposite of what your describing, I think you have air in your lines and need to bleed them out.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:59 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it may be somethong other than the booster. Probably the biggest indication of a bad booster is the lack of assist it provides. The pedal would be firm and a lot more leg would be needed to stop the car. I changed my booster just a couple of weeks ago. If it were leaking as mine was, it should be audible. A quick check is to spray starting fluid by the booster where it attaches with the master cylinder. If the rpms go up, then it's bad. There are probably other ways to check it. You do not want to change this unless you have to and I speak from experience.

Mike
Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: power booster test (mandm1200)

Ok guys thanks. It did start after I replaced the rotors so there must be air in the system. Yeah I looked at removing the booster once to paint it but quickly decided it wasn't worth it.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:26 PM
R 73 454
Racer

You haven't lived 'till you attempt to put the nuts back on the booster studs under the dash! The first two are easy.... :U
Old 03-16-2004, 08:04 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: power booster test (R 73 454)

Think those are hard?? Try a 68 Mustang :eek: Did that job three times. Still have one I never re-installed :D
Old 03-16-2004, 08:35 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: power booster test (R 73 454)

What really kills me is that I had the dashboard apart at one time and could have easily gotten the booster out but it never dawned on me. :crazy:
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I replaced my booster on my 69 mustang, wasnt bad. Bad is trying to replace the vettes parking brakes and hardware with the spindle on. I made up quite a few new swear words. :cuss
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I learned my leason with the Mustang, the booster failed as I was stopping at an intersection with my 6 year old in the car with me. Luckily no one was comming the other way. The brakes went hard as a rock & stalled the engine :eek: Must have been an :blueangel: watching over us that day.

The dash is currently out of the Vette, as well as the booster. I'll have it rebuilt before it goes back in :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To power booster test

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power booster test