C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969?

My stock radio works just fine and I don't listen to the radio that much much but I would still like to be able to listen to it when I want.
I have the stock speakers and would like to replace them with some new speakers without having to modify anything. My 3 questions are:
What size are the stock speakers?
Can you still buy this size of speaker?
Do they need to meet any special requirement to work with the factory radio?
Or
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 01:44 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Default Re: Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969? (James)

Best to take one out and take with you when you shop. You also need to be concerned with depth, as well as height and width. The radio itself is pretty poor, and new speakers alone will not make a huge difference in my experience. You also want to stick to a lower amp speaker.

Just put on sidepipes and forget the radio! :lol:
Old 03-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I can't fully answer your question, but let me tell you what I do know...

My '68 had 4x6 aftermarket speakers in the kick pannels. They didn't fit quite right, they were a little too small (the hole was too big) so the former owner made little brackets so they would fit.

I wanted the best sound I could possibly get while still keeping a somewhat stock look. I ended up cutting a piece of sheet metal to completely cover the hole, then I cut a hole to fit some really high end component speakers. I was able to fit a 4" woofer and a 1" tweeter behind the kick pannel.

They sound VERY good.

I don't know exactly what size is a direct replacement, but I suspect some one makes something better than a 4x6.

~Jay
Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock speakers are 4x10 inch and 10 ohms. The high impedence is critical to avoid damage to the original radio amplifier. If you plan to retain the original radio unit, you should definitely get a set of correct repro 4x10 speakers with the proper 10 ohm impedence. Most vendors sell the correct repro speakers.

Shannon
Old 03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are 4X10 and are available in reproduction. I was never able to find any aftermarker 4X10's that were shallow enough. Also most aftermarket speakers are 4ohms which can damage the radio. The factory radio REQUIRES 8-10 ohm speakers. You can use some 4X6's in the kick panels AND anothe set in the rear. You must however wire them in series so you end up with 8 ohms per side.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:11 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969? (HDFLH67)

Best to take one out and take with you when you shop. You also need to be concerned with depth, as well as height and width. The radio itself is pretty poor, and new speakers alone will not make a huge difference in my experience. You also want to stick to a lower amp speaker.

Just put on sidepipes and forget the radio! :lol:
:iagree: ....and 10 ohms ? really ? ....hmmmmm :skep:

Mines still working with no damage to the radio & $29 Pioneers from BestBuy. :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969? (verskel)

Yes...10 ohm. I bought some really nice Alpine speakers and put them in the kick panels in my 70 (70's should only have 2 dash speakers) thinking I'd get a better sound. After wiring and soldering, I fired up the radio and had virtually no sound. I had to cut loose the new speakers because they couldn't be powered properly and the radio actually sounded worse. I went back to the crackling old dash speakers which sound "original".
Old 03-16-2004, 10:40 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969? (70454)

Yes...10 ohm. I bought some really nice Alpine speakers and put them in the kick panels in my 70 (70's should only have 2 dash speakers) thinking I'd get a better sound. After wiring and soldering, I fired up the radio and had virtually no sound. I had to cut loose the new speakers because they couldn't be powered properly and the radio actually sounded worse. I went back to the crackling old dash speakers which sound "original".
This requires more investigation. :smash:
Here's a quote from my dad - "The 64 chevy my Dad (grandad to me) owned had a 8 ohm speaker and so did the 60 chevy station wagon."

As far as I know - my Pioneers are 8-ohm speakers and are doing fine. :p:
Old 03-16-2004, 10:48 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Okay, okay, it's a DELCO thing not a Corvette thing. :crazy:

It seems that speakers in Corvettes from 1953 thru 1985 have 10-ohm speakers.......now I need to check mine again. :yesnod:

[edit] Now I'm totally confused :confused: ....this from Ecklers >> http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...23&pf_id=A5097

And they're 4-ohms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

[Modified by verskel, 10:00 AM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4 Ohm speaker are what you would use with an upgraded radio. They will overheat your original unit...

Get notified of new replies

To Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969?

Quick Reply: Front speakers behind kick panels in a 1969?