C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Transpak DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:37 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&M Transpak DIY

I just installed the B&M Transpak yesterday in my 76 and thought I would share the results. For starters I must say this was a somewhat difficult project, partly do due the fact that I am not a transmission person. This is the only vehicle I currently have and was nervous that something would go wrong and I would hear a big clunk the first time I put it in gear. If the transmission were out of the car, the project would be much easier since gravity would be working in your favor and not against you. The job is messy as transmission fluid just keeps dripping while the pan and valve body are off. The kit supplied by B&M contained all the parts that are needed. The instructions are correct but were at times a little confusing. The instructions included some low quality images/photos. There were roughly 20 Steps in the whole procedure. In my opinion they should have had a few more photos (high quality) and had the photo on the some page as the Step. I had to read them and read them and re-read them numerous times. The amount of time it took me was approximately 8 hours (including the previous mentioned reading). No special tools were needed, mainly a 1/2" socket. Perhaps the hardest part was keeping the servo piston in its bore while the valve body is reinstalled. They recommend using grease to hold it in place. I only wish I had some thick, tacky grease. The grease I had around was thin and not thick enough to hold it in place for more than a second or two. I had my 14-year-old daughter hold it with a screwdriver while the valve body was positioned. As with most new projects, the first time is the toughest and takes the most time. It also is a new, big learning experience.
Now that the job is done, I am happy with the results. The stock transmission worked fine and operated the way Chevy intended it to; long, smooth shifts that are not noticeable. With the B&M transpak shift kit the shifts are much quicker. If driving with a feather foot, it shifts smoothly and the only difference is the speed in which it changes gears. If you apply more throttle, the shift becomes more noticeable. When the gas pedal is mashed, I noticed the biggest difference. It shifts quickly and firm, the way it should have from the factory in a performance vehicle. It shifted at slightly over 5000rpm.

I would definitely recommend this kit. Whether you choose to install it yourself or have your local mechanic do it is up to owner. The price of the kit is around the mid $50's. I would expect an experience mechanic to be able to do the job in 2 hours, assuming he has done it before and is familiar with the kit.

Mike
Old 03-15-2004, 12:57 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: B&M Transpak DIY (mandm1200)

Hi Mike,
I'm getting ready to install a B&M TransKit. It is the mostly complete rebuild kit and I have the TH400 out of the car. I have the casing gutted and cleaned and I'mjust waiting on springs and bushings to come in.
Did you set yours up for the street/strip setting? I believe there are 3 settings:
HD, street,racing. HD is stock, street is firmer shifts,racing is all out neck snapping shifts.
Can you catch the tires going into 2nd gear? Also what gear are you using,the orignal 3:08's or 3:55's?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-15-2004, 01:42 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: B&M Transpak DIY (gtr1999)

Gary:

I set mine up as the street. As you are aware this kit can be used for strip applications. I would have to look again, but in the strip setup I don't think it will automatically shift. Great for the strip, not good for normal driving. I never checked the gear ratio, but it is stock so if it shipped with 3.08 that is what should be in it. The engine is stock, at least for now, and the only thing I have done is to add headers and dual chambered exhaust. With that said, there was no chirp when it hit second. The shift can be felt, but it is not real neck jerky. I am hoping to have another engine put in late spring or summer. I am still looking for a block at a reasonable price. I have all new pieces for the top end including the little things like bolts. I figure when done I should hit the 350/375hp range. I'll be a little disappointed if I do not get a little squeak when it hits 2nd. I had a stock 84 TransAm that would chirp the tires in 2nd.
After putting a couple of mile on it to make sure it was operating Ok, I then did a line-lock and let it run wide open. I do like the way it now shifts.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:44 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Thanks Mike :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a minute I thought it read, Transpank ! :lol:

Either way it's sounds like a :cool: mod.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
billy78sa
Advanced

I now this is off thread topic, but how do those headers and chambered exhaust sound? I have both these items sitting beside my 78 for installation right now.

[Modified by billy78sa, 8:03 PM 3/15/2004]
Old 03-15-2004, 03:23 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: B&M Transpak DIY (billy78sa)

I put the headers and chambered exhaust on at the same time. I do not hear any real difference from the headers. They are made by Flowtech and are the ceramic coated ($199 from Summit). With a different cam I am hoping it will sound more like headers. The chambered exhaust is somewhat loud. While reading the info on them I though they would be a little less noisy. They are bearable. When you step on it, they do roar. The biggest problem with the installation was getting pipes bent from the header to the chamber exhaust. I made a template up and took it to place where they had a bender. It didn't fit but I was able to make the necessary calculations for them to readjust the bends and had them make 2 more that fit.
If you like the sound of sidepipes, then this is pretty close to what they sound like.

Mike
Old 03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
billy78sa
Advanced

thanks for the info.

the kit i have is pre bent from mid america.

the first thing i checked was the adapter to go from headers to the chambered exhaust. i like the sound of side pipes so i should be good to go as soon as i get them on.

billy
Old 03-15-2004, 09:30 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the same kit on the ole 400 last year. Some what of a messy job. The instruction were really bad.... But the kit itself is pretty good. I think there are only 2 stages, not 3. Either way, good bang for the buck. I can chirp in second with my stock set-up :smash:
Old 03-15-2004, 10:57 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: B&M Transpak DIY (desi)

I have the B&M Shift Improver Kit waiting to go in my TH350. It has 2 stages (RV/Heavy Duty and Street/Strip) I plan to use stage two naturally. Glad to hear it went well for ya, I'll be doing it this summer when I can remove the tranny and flip it so gravity's on my side.

-Chris

[Modified by RUXperienced, 9:59 PM 3/15/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To B&M Transpak DIY

Quick Reply: B&M Transpak DIY