C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another window motor post....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:46 AM
1978shark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another window motor post....

Since the drivers side motor on my '78 gave it up and the passenger side is slow on a good day I feel like it is time to remove everything and give the tracks a good cleaning and replace any bad rollers. I have looked on the Zip site and they no longer have the step by step instructions, or at least I could not find them. I went back to the archives and read all the posts on this topic but what I really need is step by step instructions. You know, window guts R and R for dummies. :crazy:
Can any of you help me out? :rofl:
Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Yes, another window motor post.... (1978shark)

Buy the assembly manual or the chiltons book is pretty damned good for that job. The previous owner of my 77 redid the window motors but never adjusted them :rolleyes: , he included the chiltons manual , I looked it over and it is pretty straight forward. Haynes/Chiltons manuals are OK for small jobs like that but I have taken the advise from others here on the forum and ordered the assembly manual for my 77, as well as one for the 92 driveline that's in the car.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
eddadams
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Yes, another window motor post.... (1978shark)

Here are the steps. I have the article saved as a HTML file with pictures if you will want. Let me know your email and I will send it to you. I did not want to post all the pictures in the forum.

These are the parts needed to repair the roller assemblies: front and rear glass run rollers, regulator rollers, glass bushings and washers and two anti-rattlers. You will also need some hand tools, a helper and a shop manual for your year Corvette. Zip can also supply one of these if you do not have one.

Start by lowering the door glass and removing the door panel. You will need a door handle spring clip removal tool similar to this one to remove the door lock ****. These are available from Zip or your local parts house.

Remove the door glass anti-rattlers. There is one in the front and at the rear of the door.

Then remove the outer weatherstrip seal and moulding. The weatherstrip is held in by small screws at either end and is clipped to the door in the middle. The moulding is held in place by small screws at both ends.

The front and rear glass run channel stops are removed now. There are access holes in the door so they can be removed.

The window regulator access cover can now be removed. This will allow you to remove the lower glass channel and regulator.

Position the window all the way up to line up the horizontal lower glass channel retaining screws and the access holes in the door. Have your helper hold the glass while you reach up inside the door and hold the nuts on the back of the horizontal lower glass channel.

Adjust the front and rear glass run channel outboard as far as possible. This will allow more room for the glass to be removed. Carefully pull the window upward and out making certain to clear the roller assemblies through the glass opening in the door.

Slide the horizontal lower glass channel off the regulator arm rollers and up and out of the rear glass run channel. You may have to move the regulator arms up or down to remove the channel. When moving the window regulator, be careful not to have your hands inside the door anywhere near the regulator arms. If the regulator arms accidentally close on your fingers, you will make a very fast and painful trip to the hospital.

Now mark the position (we drew a circle around each one) of the regulator channel retaining bolts, then remove them.

Position the regulator arms down so you can move the regulator out of the access hole. If you have power windows, disconnect the regulator wiring, remove the retaining bolts, then remove the regulator.

The glass mounting pads can be removed or installed by using a spanner socket. We used a Snap-On number S-8703. A pair of needle-nose pliers or a pair of large retaining ring pliers will also work.

When removing or installing the front glass run channel roller assembly, use a screwdriver to hold the shaft in place while tightening the retaining nut.

The regulator roller assemblies are removed by drilling out the peened-over area on each roller with a 3/16-inch drill bit.

Have your helper hold the regulator in place. Clamp a 1/4-inch drift into a vise and place the indented center stud of the roller directly onto the drift shaft. Place the regulator arm over the shouldered shaft of the roller and into the regulator arm hole. Use a punch and hammer to expand the hollow end of the roller stud. Note: If the hole in the regulator arm has wallowed out, we suggest using a number 10 flat washer over the roller shaft then expanding the roller stud. If you look closely, you can see we had to do that with this regulator.

Use a small ball peen hammer and tap the roller stud to fully expand it on the regulator arm.

Thoroughly clean the lower glass horizontal channel and the regulator channel. Then coat each one with white lithium grease.

Remove the rear glass run channel roller assembly on the lower glass horizontal channel and install the new roller assembly.

This is the way the regulator and roller channel will look when they are assembled.

Start the reassembly by installing the regulator first. Note that installing the regulator channel on the regulator arm makes reassembly easier. Bolt the regulator into place and reconnect any wiring. Move the regulator and channel into place and reinstall it by aligning the bolts and marks that you made during disassembly.

The lower glass horizontal channel is now reinstalled. Align it onto the regulator arm rollers and slide the rear glass run channel roller into the rear glass run channel. Again, you may have to move the regulator arms to align each roller assembly. With your helper, reinstall the glass. Place the front glass run channel roller assembly into the glass run channel and lower the glass down into place. Realign the lower glass horizontal channel and reattach it to the glass. Now lower the glass all the way down into the door. Replace the glass run channel stops. Position them in their old alignment marks and snug them into place. Now snug the front and rear glass run channel bolts, but do not tighten them.

The next step is to reinstall the outer weatherstrip seal and moulding.

The window anti-rattles are installed now. They have to be fished through the access holes and put into place, resting against the glass with slight pressure. Snug them into place but do not tighten.

Carefully close the door and roll up the window. It should be parallel with the windshield pillar, resting on the rear pillar weatherstrip and just set into the roof rail weatherstrip. If it does, roll the window up and down a few times to check it. If it is OK, tighten all the bolts. If it does not rest correctly, refer to the shop manual and adjust the window fore and aft, outboard and inboard, until it does. All of your adjustments are made through the regulator roller channel, front and rear glass run channels, glass run roller stops and the anti-rattlers. The trick is to find out what adjustments you need and to do them one at a time, a little at a time.

After all your adjustments are made and everything is realigned, reinstall the watershield, door panel and trim. Your Corvette's door glass is back on the right track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the parts needed for your '68-'82 window regulator rebuild.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-800-962-9632 ~ 1-804-746-2290
Zip-Corvette

Get notified of new replies

To Yes, another window motor post....

Quick Reply: Yes, another window motor post....