C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case

Old 03-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Feltman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case

I am in the process of putting my 81 back together. Front suspension is complete. I have cleaned and primed all exposed frame/metal at the rear. The question I have is this: I painted the front of the Rear differential with Eastwood's Black Frame paint. I believe the paint is good to 300 degree's. I purchased some silver paint (Rust-o-leum) <sp> rated at 200 degrees to paint the entire rear housing unit. How hot does the rear differential case get?......should I not paint it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 03-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case (Feltman)

Well I can't answer your question regarding housing temp, but I can tell you I bought and used the exact same paint (Rustoleum only black) and used it on my differential housing as well. I can't imagine it getting hot enough to cause issues with the paint but I have yet to run the car since it's been painted.

So I guess all I'm saying is, I'm looking forward to the answers you'll be getting.... :D
Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case (Chumpzilla)

I don't think they get that hot, it's a thick case. But you can just use high temp paint to be safe. I painted mine when out of the car with that high temp aluminum paint they sell at Auto Zone. I am not sure what the rating is but it is made to be used on exhaust so I am sure there will be no problem on the differential.
If you want to use black they have black high temp paint of course, some of it is designed to use on outside barbecues so you gotta figure it will take any heat under a car.
Paint it man - It looks better than new after you paint it.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case (Feltman)

I used some stuff called Cast Blast, it is basically a silver gray that looks like bare new cast iron, it looks great on the pumpkin and half shafts. It is rust resistant and stands up to heat pretty good. Similar stuff is available at any auto parts store. Temperature is not a problem on the rear end, I doubt if a rearend ever gets much over 200 degrees, so a high heat paint isn't necessary.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:43 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case (Smokehouse69)

I did the same as Smokehouse69.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case (rponfick)

Your diff is aluminum. It won't rust. Just your side yokes and pinion yoke will.

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Restoration Question: Painting Rear differential Case