C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No dome lights or footwell lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default No dome lights or footwell lights?

Hello, this is my first post/question, I was checking out my interior lights today, and none of them are working, the guage lights and such work fine. When I checked, I had power on both sides of all the bulbs with the bulbs removed, maybe I am mistaken, but shouldnt one side be a power, and one be a ground. I checked my door contacts and on the pass. side it seemed to be fine, but the wires have power on them, not ground. I was under the assumption these are ground switches. On the driver door switch, it looks like there has been a little wire melting on the blue wire that goes to that particular contact, but these wires have power on them also. I traced all the wiring up into the dash as far as i could, but didnt find anything wrong. Also, when I would ground the wire, there is a relay under the center console near the shifter that clicks, does anyone have any idea where I should start looking for the problem?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:50 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: No dome lights or footwell lights? (Today's problem is..)

2 things haveto happen for electicity to work. There has to be power and there has to be a ground. If you don't have a ground then you will show power on that wire until it is grounded. Check that the switch does ground out and that the frame is grounded. There is a ground wire that attaches the frame the bird cage (the metal parts of the door frame) at the number 1 mount on the driverside. I have seen some that are rotted away. If there is power there then it has to be a bad ground.

Quick Reply: No dome lights or footwell lights?