C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas tank return

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:37 PM
madvette74
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default gas tank return

i took out my tank, there is a plastic box, ( on the top of the tank, on the drivers side) with 2 lines attached to it, well one of these small plastic connections that a line plugs into broke off, is there a quick fix for this? what are they for, and whats the easiest way to re-install tank?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: gas tank return (madvette74)

This is a one year only, very hard to find piece. Last one I saw went for about $175. on eBay.

You could try using some JB weld on the broken nipple, but make sure that there's no leaks afterwards as the gas would leak directly on your drivers side muffler!

One of the lines is the return from the fule pump, the other is the vent from the charcoal canister. You can't just toss the box and block the lines off without having Bubba as your first name. :cheers:
Old 03-14-2004, 05:58 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: gas tank return (madvette74)

insert a piece of steel tubing inside the item for more strength before you epoxy it together :chevy
Old 03-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: gas tank return (Mike Ward)

This is a one year only, very hard to find piece. Last one I saw went for about $175. on eBay.
Mike, I believe these were the same on '71('72?)with the canister to '74 was the same.

This part is an anti-rollover, anti-siphon valve. It is so liquid does'nt go to the carbon canister and also in case the car overturned, the fuel would'nt leak out. I did a "neat" Bubba to my '74 and took a piece of fuel line from the vent line on the left frame and "looped" it high up to the underside of the deck lid back down to the nipple on the left side of my tank. Only thing is I will not have "rollover" protection. I too have seen these for $150+ and I refuse to pay that for an old part that may last 5 years OR 5 minutes.

I wonder how many people here have a "gas smell", and this is their problem :confused: Would be nice if this piece was reproduced???

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 6:25 PM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
madvette74
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: gas tank return (Paul Borowski)

can i just bypass this black box? seeing it's at the top of the tank, i wouldn't exactly know if the repaired nipple didn't crack or something during replacement of tank, what tap on something could break it again, not sure how well epoxy or jb weld is, or leak proof, for how long?

Get notified of new replies

To gas tank return

Quick Reply: gas tank return