C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal dual fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 01:39 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Spal dual fans

I just recieved a set of spal dual 11 inch fans. I have a 79 that came with a aux cooling fan. Can I use the Factory wiring into the engine compartment for power?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Spal dual fans (toyvet1)

I wouldn't the Spals pull lots of amperage, you should use one of the wiring kits from DeWitts, or one of the Painless Wiring kits. Either kit should contain the proper relays and wiring to do the job right.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:55 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Spal dual fans (Smokehouse69)

I have the wiring kits, just wondering if the blue wire from the factory is big enough to power the fans using the DeWitt relays ect....
Old 03-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the wiring kits, just wondering if the blue wire from the factory is big enough to power the fans using the DeWitt relays ect....

The factory blue wire is plenty enough to control the coil in the relays. It probably is a 30 amp circuit. Each fan circuit should wire from the starter or battery through the 30 amp fuses supplied. The factory blue wire (12 volts when engine is running) is only controling the coils, not the loads of the fans. Hope this helps. :cheers:
Old 03-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

According to the instructions that came with my Spal's you are supposed to get your 12 volt directly from the positive battery terminal. Since the battery is so far from the engine compartment I figured the best place to get power is off the main lug on the starter.
I ran seperate 8 gauge wire lead for each relay up from that lug. I used large lugs that I crimped onto the wire and then doped with some solder.
I mounted the two relays on the drivers side fender well side by side. Then I ran the 8 gauge power wire to the relays across the back of the firewall, and down to the starter. Then I ran the power from the relays along the fenderwell to the top the radiator, where the connectors to the fans are located. The rest of the wiring was as easy as hooking up to the temperature sensor switch to the relays. I have modified it since with another relay to power up one fan when the A/C compressor is on.
It was really an easy hook up and only took me an hour or so to wire up the fans using this method.
Zwede has a wiring diagram (which I have missplaced and wish I had) that uses two temp sensors switches and turns on the fans seperatly at two different speeds. That is a great upgrade to the standard wiring setup.
Good Luck! :thumbs:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:26 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Spal dual fans (Smokehouse69)

Thanks smokehouse that answers what I needed......

Get notified of new replies

To Spal dual fans

Quick Reply: Spal dual fans