C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:07 AM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column

Will a 78-82 Tilt/Tele steering column fit a 77 that currently has a tilt/tele? Mine is shot and I bought another for parts to repair, but I haven't received it yet. I have an opportunity to get a 78-82 that is in good condition, but want to be sure it fits first. If it will fit, I might just buy it and replace the whole unit instead of trying to get parts to repair mine.

Old 03-14-2004, 12:12 PM
red79c3
Racer

Default Re: Steering Column (USA SHARK)

Whewre did you find the column? I have a 79 with a shot tele. The tilt is okay. I'm looking in to fixing, but it might be easier to just replace it.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Steering Column (USA SHARK)

Your 1977 steering column has a windshield wash/wipe switch built into it. 1978 -82 columns do not have the switch. You will have to disassemble both columns and exchange the 1977 housing with the washer switch/dimmer pivot into your 1978 column. I am quite sure they will interchange.

In either case, either steering column will bolt right into your car.

You can find complete instructions on disassembling your columns by going to https://www.corvetteforum.com and looking in the Steering Section. The three Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly and Repair Papers #1, #2, #3 and Pics #1, #2, #3 along with the steering wheel information and blowup pic should be a big help.

If you need further info, either eMail me or post further right here in the forum.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: Steering Column (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim. Great info. I appreciate it. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column

Quick Reply: Steering Column