C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something always needs work on these cars

Old 03-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Something always needs work on these cars

Now matter how much you do and new parts there is always something else that can be updated or repaired. After getting the new Tremec in and road tested a few other things pop up. My oil pressure gauge was acting up a little last year. Just a lazy needle. Now it has stopped completly. I know there is plenty of pressure just the gauge is stuck. Back out with the center gauge cluster. I als o have a rattle at idle. The back Astro vent is rattling. Have to secure that back up. My side windows have needed to be adjusted for a number of years. Just never got around to doing it. Almost always have the top down and windows down. They just don't fit right and it is bugging me now. Just little things that make owning one of these older cars fun. Never a lack of projects to do.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (Gordonm)

I know what you mean, I cannot wait to get a garage that I can heat year round at about 45-50 degrees so I can do more during the winter. I have a torpedo propane heater now but everthing is so cold it gets condensation on it when I try to work when it is real cold out so then I waste a month or so of decent driving weather working on stuff. :nopity
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

You're absolutely right. The brakes on my LT-1 need some attention, and the headlights on my '66 need to be taken out/disassembled/cleaned/lubed/reassembled/reinstalled. Also the front bumpers I have for the car have to be installed. All this while in the final stages of semi-restoring a '64 GTO I got this past summer. Oh well, I guess if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be doing it. Sometimes it piles up on you though!

Dick
Old 03-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I just keep trying to fix all of those little things. It is a never ending job with one of these older cars though. If you are a person who likes to tinker, then these are the cars for you. :thumbs:
Old 03-14-2004, 09:24 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (Eddie 70)

i know what you mean about the windows,ive got mine all apart now,i just cant get them to seal right,really bugging me.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:50 AM
geezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (patsnitrovette)

I can relate with 20 years of putzing with my '69 BB. It just to got be no fun anymore so I sold it and bought an '01 C-5! OMG :eek: Died and went to heaven!
Just do the repair the best and the right way the first time so you don't have do an emergency on the road or before a big Vette outing! Remember that before we got spoiled with EFI and "build quality" constant maintenance was NORMAL! Two tune ups a year, oil and filter every 2000-3000, topping off the battery water, replacing belts and hoses, etc. Ask an under 30 mechanic if he knows what a dwell meter is?!

[Modified by geezer, 8:51 AM 3/14/2004]

[Modified by geezer, 8:52 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 10:01 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (geezer)

And if that isn't enough, Just becuase I fixed it last year doesn't mean I wont have to do t again sometime soon. Replacement parts never seem to last as long as the originals.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I would guesstimate that during the summer I spend 75% of my Corvette time fooling about/cleaning and 25% driving. Prepping/pampering is an enjoyable aspect of the hobby.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:37 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Working on my car is theraputic and rewarding.

I would be bored silly if I only had to hop in my car, turn the key and drive away everytime.

Someone driving a new C5, whose only effort is to wash/wax, doesn't know this feeling.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (paul67)

Well, I'm going to try and let the non-critical projects slide to the winter. Last year my car was off the road for must of the summer. My two pressing issues are a rad hose leak (hopefully not the pump) and getting the pullies setup as they wobble a bit now.

I'll spend the summer collecting parts for the winter... like a squirrel gathering nuts and twigs. :lol:

My problem is project scope. I can't just adjust the glass inside the door. Oh no... I end up with new panels, handles, lock cylinders and a million other things that turn it into a month-long deal.

My goal is not to do things twice. In practice, I'd be happy if I only do it three times. :lol:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:46 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I know what you mean, I go through this too. But at some point, I have to remind myself I'm driving a car that's nearly 30 years old. Man, 30 years.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:55 AM
My69
Burning Brakes

You are right. It is always one thing or another. I consider myself lucky though. I am still able to own a Vette plus I can do alot of the work with the help of forum members. If I had a newer Vette with all the modern touches I would not be able to do a darn thing on it.

Mike :auto:
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (My69)

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy working on the car and I do everything myself but it would be nice as said here before sometimes the parts or work just does not last long. Driving a 30+ year old car will definitly require repairs. The new ones are nice and don't need much work but when they do it requires a lot more than the C3 cars. What other small projects do others have?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

By day I drive a new Acura TL. Still enjoy working on and driving my vette more. I don't sit on the internet at night learning about the Acura. I don't read mags and books about the Acura. And I certainly don't drink beer while working on the Acura :D I bought my vette just for the purpose of having a hobby and something to tinker with. And now I'm starting to share my hobby with my 5 & 8 year olds boys. My 8 year old loves the vette and talks of the day when he too will own one. I use the car as a motivator to get good grades and do his homework. He never talks about growing up and driving an Acura. However, I do get tired of fixing one thing only to have 2-3 other things fail while fixing the previous problem. But driving with the top down, tunes on and listening to the sound of a carb at wide open throttle make it all better. :auto:
Old 03-14-2004, 07:34 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

I know what you mean! List of things I've done in the past month include repairing a stuck oil gauge, repairing my ammeter gauge ( I rewound the copper coil wire and it works like a charm ) and replacing the upper steering column bearing. Just when I thought I had things about right, the dash lights quit working :crazy:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:48 PM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Something always needs work on these cars (68rdstr)

I quess if I spent $40,000. and had issues I'd be upset. But most C3s aren't in that range. I love spending time on the car. Sure it would be fun to have the one that needs nothing but then I'd be standing in my garage with my wrenches looking for some to tinker with. Many of these cars at some point in their history were driven hard :reddevil. Just like we do it. When you get it on the road the garage time seems to fade quick. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Something always needs work on these cars

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something always needs work on these cars