C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75.

I just read a earlier post about the bladder in 75-77 vettes, I have a 75 and my gauge was on -E- and when I went to fill her up, I could only put in 10.2 Gallons.... What is meant by Bladder in the fuel tank?, the post mentioned that it could break,or lean up next to the sending unit????? if I read this correltly it sounds like its some kind of ballon or something like that???, cause it was mentioned that it could be taken out.....Ive never heard of a flexable bladder in the tank?,. Tks sorry if this turns out to be a dumb question :crazy:
Old 03-14-2004, 10:34 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75. (Chuck-75)

How close to E was it? My 76 has a very linear gauge - it is extremely accurate through it's travel. When I fill up, if I stop when the gas pump first clicks off, I get 7/8 or so tankful. I have to actually lift the handle up and pull the nozzle most of the way OUT of the tank to get it to really show a full tank. And it will go ALLLLLLLLllllllllllllllllllllll the way down to the very VERY last lowest spot on E also.

I love knowing EXACTLY what's up. That is the reason I haven't messed with it, or spent time pulling the bladder out of the tank. When I am on EEEEEEE (!) it will fill with 12 1/2 gallons so yours could suffer from the bladder problem a bit more than mine does. I do intend to pull the tank and flush it out (and pull bladder) but it's not a top priority here.

The bladder we are discussing is a rubber or butyl liner in the tank, originally designed to prevent leaks in case of accident. After years go by, they leak...this causes fuel to get between the tank and the outside of the bladder.

You can just drop the tank, reach in to the top opening, and pull the bladder out, revealing a virgin gas tank. Or spend 299.00 with Ecklers and buy a new one aftermarket.
:yesnod:

[Modified by SanDiegoPaul, 7:35 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 04:19 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75. (Chuck-75)

Do a search in the ARCHIVES here and you will find more posts on the 75-77 bladder problems, and solutions, then you will want to read...... then you'll need to get busy.

BTW: Don't buy the tank at Eckler's, it's probably a Quanta so if you really need a new tank Quanta has one for $219. Remember tho that neither of them have a bladder, so they are just like the earlier years. You will need to reuse parts of the bladder neck and gasket to reinstall the sender unit. But I doubt if you will need a new tank.

The bladder for 75-77 is unique and the later cars had a more "permanent" style tank liner that cannot be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge prob?,or Bladder in the Tank?for 75.