C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on dropping the differental

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information on dropping the differental

I am slowly tearing down the 78. I have the trailing arms and half shafts off. I removed the spare holder. I took the leaf spring off and the exaust. I know I need to look at the manual. I am tearing the car down because it was totaled. I can't figure out whats holding the pumpkin in. I see the studs coming from the frame rail with the bushings on it. It looks like it should drop but will not. I have jacked on the body ect. There is something simple I am not doing. Any advise would be helpful.Thanks in advance. :skep: :confused: :conehead
Old 03-13-2004, 11:25 PM
kenko74
Racer

Default Re: Information on dropping the differental (A78Corvette)

IF you've removed the differential front support bracket, then the only thing left holding the differential is the crossmember. It often rusts to the frame inside those large rubber bushings. Remove the bolts holding the crossmember to the frame, and spray in some good penetrating oil (Kano Kroil is the best, also can try P.B. Blaster), wait an hour and spray again. Then support the differential with a jack (if you plan on keeping it), and give the cross member a few good blows and then try prying it off the frame at the ends--it'll pop right off. :smash:
Old 03-14-2004, 02:51 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Information on dropping the differental (kenko74)

Thanks i already had the bolts out. I didn't think rust would hold all of that together. Good thing I have kept the jack under the rear end most of the time. I can't find kriol around here. I will get some pbblaster tomorrow. :conehead :skep: :confused:
Old 03-14-2004, 05:52 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to put some longer bolts into the crossmember holes so when it pops loose it doesn't hit the floor. You may have to pry very hard with a long bar or pipe. It's not nessessarily rust that is holding it together.They are just a very tight fit. Good Luck, Craig
Old 03-14-2004, 11:01 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Information on dropping the differental (Ed T)

Thanks to all and for the pictures. I will oil them down tomorrow and get a gear puller from auto zone. I'm glad I had this place to ask. :conehead
Old 03-14-2004, 12:37 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I used Ed T's procedure and it worked like a charm.

Get notified of new replies

To Information on dropping the differental

Quick Reply: Information on dropping the differental