C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering tele/tilt

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:08 PM
red79c3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering tele/tilt

I have a 79 Vette with the tele/tilt steering. Thr tilt is fine but, the tele isn't. Does anyone know of any kits to fix this problem or somewhere that I can take the Vette to in order to get it fixed. I live Boca Raton, Florida. Thanks to all that can help me out.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:48 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: steering tele/tilt (red79c3)

I'm not sure what you mean. You don't like the tele and want to eliminate it? Or you just need to fix it, because it's broken?
Old 03-13-2004, 09:53 PM
red79c3
Racer

Default Re: steering tele/tilt (joeveto)

I would fix it, or just take it right out. What ever is the best way. The Vette is not orig. and never will be. Thanx
Old 03-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

We need a better description as to what problem you are experiencing with the telescoping. Is it that you just can't rotate the locking wheel clockwise far enough to prevent it from telescoping?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:28 PM
red79c3
Racer

Default Re: steering tele/tilt (Jim Shea)

Sorry for not giving you a better idea of whats wrong. The tilt is in great working order. The tele isn't. I can move the steering wheel up and down or side to side about 1 1/2 inches (when to car is not moving or even turned on). I have talked to other people in the past about the problem but no one seems to know where to get a tele rebuilt kit. Is it possible to just take the tele out and only have tilt????
Old 03-13-2004, 10:40 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Try the services of one of our members here: pinky@midsouth.rr.com ask him about rebuilding or what is entailed in repair.

Old 03-13-2004, 10:40 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can move you steering wheel from *side to side about 1 and 1/2 inches!!* That would make a full possible 3 inch of travel!!! Normal operation is tilt for up and down movement and tele for in and out movement. There is no normal operation for *side to side, 1 and 1/2 movement to left or right.* Sounds like the wheel is fixing to fall off...better get it checked. Sure one of the guys will chime in here! :eek:

[Modified by 81' Corvette Guy, 9:41 PM 3/13/2004]
Old 03-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The following is exerpted from a paper that is posted at:
http://www.corvettefaq.com

The paper is posted in the Steering section under the following title:

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1

The following picture may also be helpful when working on the horn, telescoping lock, and steering wheel parts:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/redir.asp?site=610

Adjusting the T&T Telescoping Feature
If you rotate your telescope locking lever all the way clockwise and your column does not lock securely in position, it is possible that the lever just requires adjustment. The hollow upper steering shaft is locked and prevented from telescoping by a wedge and a rod that is inside the shaft. The rod is pushed down by a special "star" screw. The "star" screw is attached to the locking lever that is just under the horn button.

For this locking lever service procedure, it will be helpful if you rotate the steering wheel and set it so that it is in the straight ahead, down-the-road position. Also disconnect your battery.

Carefully pry the horn cap assembly from the steering wheel using a small, thin bladed screwdriver. If you merely yank on the horn cap it can be damaged. The cap assembly consists of three pieces that are all staked together. At this time, you might want to check that the three stakes are secure. You may even want to add some JB Weld to the stakes for insurance.

Unfasten the three screws that hold the upper horn contact in place and remove it along with the loose shims that are right under it.

With the horn cap removed, you will see that the telescope lever is attached to the special “star” screw with two small phillips head screws. Remove the two screws. The locking lever will be loose but trapped under the “star” screw.

You can now remove the “star” screw and check to insure that the lock rod is in place. You may need a small magnet to pull it out of the upper steering shaft. You will not be able to remove the lock wedge at this time. Reinstall the rod and the “star” screw and using a large phillips head screwdriver, rotate the “star” screw clockwise until it is tight. This should cause the telescoping feature to lock in place. Position the locking lever under the “star” screw such that the thumb tab is approximately at the 11 o’clock position. Attach the locking lever to the “star” screw with the two small screws. (The telescope lever has numerous tapped holes in it, allowing it to be attached in multiple positions.)

Try applying and releasing the telescope feature several times using the locking lever. It should telescope freely with the thumb tab on the lever at the 11 o’clock position. It should be locked securely in place when you rotate the tab to the 1 o’clock position. If it is operating correctly, replace the shims and fasten the upper horn contact in place with three screws. Note that the upper horn contact has a leg that extends down from it. The contact must be oriented so that the leg sits on the horn contact sticking through the steering wheel hub. Snap the horn cap assembly into place. Reconnect the battery.

Old 03-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: steering tele/tilt (stinky)

I was busy typing on how to adjust the telescope feature while you were more thoroughly describing your problem. Down load Paper #1 that is described above. The very first part of the paper describes checking for loose pivot pins, support screws, or lock shoes. These checks may help define where the problem is located.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:24 AM
red79c3
Racer

I downloaded paper# 1, I'm pretty sure that it will help me out. If it doesn't, then I'm sure that everyone will hear from me again. Thank you for all of your help.

Get notified of new replies

To steering tele/tilt

Quick Reply: steering tele/tilt