C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior color change

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Interior color change

Had the car out today for a while. :D :D :D

The question is - Current interior is Medium blue (412). Pieces requiring replacement, door panels, carpet, seat covers, pillar moulding... in fact, the ONLY blue pieces that can be re-used are the top dash pad, console and the lower dash pieces. If I opt to buy the new stuff in a different color, these are all I'd need to recolor.

What is the BEST method for doing this?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:14 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Interior color change (FASGLAS)

It's not a bad job, but it takes some attention to detail. The most important part, is to make sure the parts are clean. That means they have to be free of grease and more importantly, silicone.

I would first wash the parts with a mild soapy solution. Then rinse well. After that, I'd wipe them down with acetone or denatured alcohol and let them dry. Then you can spray them.

I freshened my 77's interior and it came out really nice. I even did my steering wheel, which was a little haggard. It looks good and has actually worn well over the past two years. I used Mid America's paint for everything, and as such, I recommend them.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:25 AM
mengbar
Instructor

Take Joeveto's advice.

A friend of mine "painted" his inetrior last year on a 72. He got in a hurry....had a lot to do over the weekend...geeez, and washed and sprayed everything before leaving hoping all would be dry and ready in his garage when he returned. Had finger print stains all over everything....nicely painted.

The step of wiping everything down with acetone and alchol is important. When we handle clean parts, the invisible oil off our hands get on the plastic. The acetone and alcohol cleans it off. I go one step farther and were some cheap latex gloves and use one of the wifes old white bed sheets (she really like that
:rofl: )

Have a hoot...it's fun stuff.

:hurray:

:party:
Old 03-14-2004, 02:04 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Interior color change (mengbar)

Thanks to you both! Input appreciated! :D

Looks like I'll give it a try... :yesnod:
Old 03-14-2004, 02:28 PM
jetech
Racer

Fasglas
I am changing my interior color now from light gray to graphite gray. I am using a product from http://leatherique.com/. The dye cleans up with water and seems to be high quality. I bought the leather restoration kit that includes a cleaner, rejuvenate, crack filler, and dye. I had a custom color mixed to match the new vinyl I used. I picked up a cheap airbrush gun from Harbor Freight that sprays the dye real well. Take a look at the site, it has instructions so you can read what you need to do. Also talk to George at Leatherique, he can answer any questions.
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Interior color change

Quick Reply: Interior color change