C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder?

I ran across this website in my travels...

http://www.corvettesteering.com/55-57%20chevy.htm

Half way down the page there is a pict of steering box setup w/ lines running directly to it. Is this a manual-to-power conversion? Or could this steering box be used to eliminate the cylinder?
Old 03-13-2004, 05:21 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (Jack71)

Spoke to Tom the other day for some info, as I'm considering this conversion. It replaces the existing steering box, uses the stock pitman arm, and the original pump if you want. It requires some mods to the control valve also, but nothig irreversible.

Chuck Harmon had a post recently on the install.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (70BBvert)

The steering gear is the latest design recirculating ball integral power steering gear developed by Delphi Saginaw Steering. It is used in the new Jeep Grand Cherokee, the current light duty 4WD GM K15 pickups and Suburbans, as well as the small Nissan pickup.

The power cylinder is inside the gear (there is no external assist cylinder) and the valving is a latest technology rack and pinion rotary valve. It is a light weight, very high quality power steering gear.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:20 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know if this'll work with Hooker sidepipe headers?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (72rdstr)

What happens to the PS control value on the end of the relay rod? It seems like it should be replaced with a "fixed" piece.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:13 AM
442olds
Pro

I basically made my contorl valve a fixed piece. The ideal setupw would be to convert to the full manual steering drag link rather than the power steering control valve.

I wouldn't say the box is light. It weighs as much as the factory box if not more.

I like the setup, it works nice it is a little tight with my stahl sidepipe big block headers but it wasn't anything a little header tuning couldn't fix. I have an older version of the kit and I have to use a pitman arm he supplied. It pushes the drag link connection point forward a little but it all works well and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. But now he has reworked the box's so that the pitman spline will work with the factory pitman arm. This is a nice feature, wonder if he'll let me upgrade?

Anyone considering this conversion over the Steeroids rack and pinion, I would go for the Power Box, its a very smooth system and has roughly the same gear ratio as the Steeroids. And with a lot less headaches. hook up the power steering lines, colapse the steering column and bolt the box in place with the supplied adapters. If your good its an easy 3 to 4 hour insall. lets see someone to do that with a steeroids.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (72rdstr)

Anyone know if this'll work with Hooker sidepipe headers?
Chuck Harmon has the Hooker Sidepipe Headers and this box. I don't think there was any more interference than the stock box with the headers...

I can't wait for Chuck to get that 69 back on the road. I'm seriously considering this swap for my car!

-Steve
Old 03-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (Pacin'California)

When you discuss weight of the various systems, you need to compare apples to apples. You need to compare the weight of the model 600 integral power steering gear to the weight of the standard production manual Corvette gear plus the weight of the assist cylinder and the control valve. I will bet that the 600 gear is lighter. Also, if I remember correctly, the 600 gear is several pounds lighter than the equivalent Saginaw 700 model power steering gear.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (442olds)

I basically made my contorl valve a fixed piece. The ideal setupw would be to convert to the full manual steering drag link rather than the power steering control valve.
Thanks 442olds! The information you've supplied has just put me over the top on deciding to go with the Corvette Steering setup. I'd thought about it, but figured converting to the manual drag link and pitman arm would make the conversion nearly as much trouble as the Steeroids conversion. What did you do to make your PS control valve into a "fixed" unit?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

TTT

Hoping 442olds will see my question on his installation!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:55 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack
I have been running that box for a couple years now and it absolutly is the answer to our steering problems. On one of our cars we used a manual steering relay rod and the other we just took the power valve and made it solid where the the valving was. After modifying my 63 and driving it for over 30 years and 200000 miles it is the single best thing I have ever done to the car. I don't understand why it hasn't caught on more.
SSS
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder? (Smokehouse69)

I asked Tom that question also. He supplies the parts to convert the control valve to a solid connection with the kit. Give him a call, he was very willing to take the time to explain everything

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder?

Quick Reply: Is this steering box eliminating the PS cylinder?