C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas...

Old 03-13-2004, 09:57 AM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas...

I know, that subject sounds pretty disturbing...

:crazy:

Anyway, here's the deal. All is fine and well when driving as long as I'm hitting a constant speed or accelerating. But, as soon as I lay off the gas, I can hear a noise from the rear end. It's audible, but not very loud. It goes away as soon as I touch the gas.

The sound is hard to describe, but the best way I can think of is that it sounds like "white noise", sort of like if your radio or tele is in between stations.

I thought it may be the diff, so I took it to a lube place and had them swap the fluid add the posi additive that I brought with me. They did this last night and I could still hear the sound on the way home.

Any ideas?

:confused:
Old 03-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas... (OREO Speedwagon)

Did they check to make sure your pinion snubber bolt did not come out? When the car is sitting the bracket buts up tight so you have to look at it to see if it has come out. I had mine come out and I could hear and feel a whine and vibration when I let off the gas. Took me a while to figure it out.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:14 AM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas... (Fevre)

I think if I said snubber to the Jiffy Lube guy, he would have given me one of these:

:confused:

It's funny you mentioned the snubber though, because I also notice a "thunk" when I shift into gear, and after searching through these forums, I found more than a few guys saying that the snubber is the usual suspect in those cases.

So, I'm now trying to figure out how in tarnation (great word, eh?) to check to see if Mr. Snubber is OK and also how to change him if he's brokey.

Any tips for the mechanically inept?

Old 03-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas... (OREO Speedwagon)

Just follow the bracket tha comes off the rear diff toward the front of the car until it ends, you will see a bolt hole and then see if the bolt is there, usually the bolt comes from the top down so you should see a bolt with a nut on it. The bolt was still there on mine but was not coming through the hole, the nut was long gone along with the lower cushion/bushing. If I remeber right when I jacked the car up the bracket rotated down far enough to get the new bolt and cushions (there are two parts to it, one that goes on the end of the bolt and then feeds down through the cross member and mates up with the lower cushion between the cross member and bracket. Use lock tight on the nut when you install it, really should be a cotter pin on the sucker.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:27 AM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas... (Fevre)

Right on, thanks! I'll get it up on jacks tomorrow and check it out. BTW, how did you jack yours, from the side or behind to get to it?

Old 03-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Follow this link and check out the bracket that comes off the diff, you will see the bolt hole, the lower cushion sits on top of that bracket.

http://www.zip-products.com/Corvette...3647E9AFC89CC1

Get notified of new replies

To Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some odd sounds coming from my backend when I lay off the gas...