C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on resto

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 10:44 PM
NOTHIN'LIKE'A'69'
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on resto

Can you guys point me in the right way for some resources on 69/350 engine resto and taking the body off the car...... Thought I was just going to paint and do a new interior and top this year...... the more i do the more i want to just tear down the whole thing and do it right.... thanks for all the help......Chris :cheers:
Old 03-13-2004, 01:26 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: need advice on resto (NOTHIN'LIKE'A'69')

You may regret it. I haven't driven mine in 2 1/2 years.

The best way to lift the body depends on the place that you have to do it.
Straps with a chain drop would work well if you have room above.
Some members have used engine hoists, built Aframes, or just eight guys lifting.
I lifted mine by myself with nylon straps and a cable puller - in a 7 foot garage.
:seeya
Old 03-16-2004, 08:38 PM
tonyk72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, I'll take your 'vette apart for a case of beer...I require payment up front & I'll have your car in pieces by the end of the day. :p:

Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I have done several body off restorations on 69's. The safest way is to get 4 55 gallon drums and 4x4's and about six buddys. You won't want to lift because you will be the eyes for everyone. Use some scrap pieces of 1" wide boards on each barrel as a shim when everyone lifts until you can roll out the chassis. You will need a lot of beer for when you are done. Everything becomes very easy to do with the body off but you can get into a lot of expense if you get to crazey. I am doing a 65 now that has been apart for 2yrs and is very expensive. It is worth it when your done though. Lifting by straps also works but can be combersome and you have to watch ;your paint job. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Larry
Old 03-16-2004, 09:19 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: need advice on resto (Larry Woods)

I lifted mine off by myself using lift straps and 2 come-a-longs. One on the body and one on the nose. You need to lift it about 28 inches to roll the chasis out from under it. More info on my web page. I was only off the road for a month but I wasn't going for NCRS correctness. I just needed it to be road worthy. If you do lift the body make sure you support the nose.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice on resto

Quick Reply: need advice on resto