C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Blue73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck Bolt

I am in the process of installing headers. Ran into a small problem. One bolt on the drivers side mainifold will not come loose. All of the rest of the bolts were easy. I applied PB liquid wrench several times and beat on it repeatedly. Finally I broke the head of the bolt off. Now the bolt seams to be frozen to the manifold. I can move the manifold back and forth and the bolt turns with it. I have pounded on it and tapped on it and drenched it in liquid wrench until I can't stand it anymore. Any suggestions on how to get the manifold off.

Anyone want to buy the manifolds after I get this one off. The drivers side may be a little banged up?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: Stuck Bolt (Blue73)

Well, as a last resort, if you can't remove the bolt, you can cut off the bolt head, slip off the manifold, then remove the bolt....

[Modified by Master Ho, 6:14 PM 3/12/2004]
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
geezer
Instructor

OK, try this. Drill a hole 1/8" or larger into the manifold directly above the bolt. That is you will be drilling at a 90 degree angle to the bolt and the drill bit should hit the shank of the bolt. Drill into the bolt just enough so you know you have drilled entirly through the manifold. Now squirt some penetrating oil down the hole and let it sit.
If this works and you finally get that pig off, if you want, have a welding shop weld up the drilled hole. If you have an arc welder just use rod made for cast iron repair, I believe it's NiRod. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Blue73
Advanced

Default Re: Stuck Bolt (geezer)

Thanks for the advise. I drilled the hole yesterday (busy weekend) and applied the liquid wrench. It is soaking in. This sounds like it will work. I will let you know. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:21 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

One word.

HEAT.

Get yourself a propane bottle and heat up the manifold around the bolt. You will break the rust bond that is on the bolt.

99% of the bolts on my 70 came out with heat. The other two had to be drilled out by the guys who did my engine. Use never seize on the bolts when you put them back in.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck Bolt

Quick Reply: Stuck Bolt