C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem?

I posted about this some time ago and got some great suggestions. Unfortunately, none have panned out. I did manage to short across the starter and the car turned over but would never start. There is zero power inside but battery connection and ground is good.

Someone said something to me recently about a solenoid or relay or something actually inside the distributor that goes bad and can or will cause the exact same symptoms I had - sudden loss of electrical power with the engine completely stopping / quitting.

They mentioned this "thing" was underneath the rotor but not knowing my rear from a rotor, I am at a loss.

Any final ideas before I get out the 12 guage?

STW
Robert
76Stinger
Old 03-12-2004, 08:47 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (76Stinger)

I believe that if it were the distributor, you would have power to other systems. I gather from your post that the car is completely dead, no electrical power at all- or am I mistaken?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:40 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Was one of the past replies to check the main harness plug at the firewall?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:04 PM
tom102
Instructor

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (72GACRZR)

He might have been referring to the ignition module. I t is located under the rotor in the distributor. Two screws hold it in place and it is an easy change. Available at any A/P store. Though if that is bad it wouldnt stop the starter from engaging it just wouldnt start.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:23 PM
molchaser
Advanced

Interesting

I currently have a similiar problem, went to start it up and take it to work to enjoy a nice spring day, opened door lights went on, tried to turn over, but not enought juice in the battery, so I put the charger on a few min and tried to start it with charger still connected...you know dying to get to work ;)

When I turned the key, every thing went dead...it appears I shorted something in the "main line" or popped a relay or who knows what. Hope to take a look at this weekend...

Any ideas :confused:

Thanks for the help

Ken (molchaser)
Old 03-13-2004, 12:50 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (molchaser)

Interesting

I currently have a similiar problem, went to start it up and take it to work to enjoy a nice spring day, opened door lights went on, tried to turn over, but not enought juice in the battery, so I put the charger on a few min and tried to start it with charger still connected...you know dying to get to work ;)

When I turned the key, every thing went dead...it appears I shorted something in the "main line" or popped a relay or who knows what. Hope to take a look at this weekend...

Thanks for the help

Ken (molchaser)
Hi Ken,

Sounds like you were describing my other problem yesterday. My car just barely started. I left it running while I washed it. Shut it off for a couple of minutes. Went back out to drop it off at the garage.

It wouldn't turn over. Horn sounded weak when I tried it. I got out my battery charger with the 50 amp boost, but nothing.

They tested it at the garage. The fancy electronic tester said it had 40 amps of cranking power. Kurt told me I needed at least 350 amp to power everything to start it.

Purchased new battery and it fired right up. :thumbs: :steering:

Then I ran out of gas with 1/2 a tank showing :banghead: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=774855

:seeya Jeff

Old 03-13-2004, 01:48 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (molchaser)

There is a
Interesting

Thanks for the help

Ken (molchaser)
There is an in-line fusible link near the starter. It is a wire that is of smaller guage than the main wire and is designed to fry if there is a problem. This is your problem I believe. Cheap fix!! :cheers:
Old 03-13-2004, 02:41 PM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (R. Bruno)

There is an in-line fusible link near the starter. It is a wire that is of smaller guage than the main wire and is designed to fry if there is a problem. This is your problem I believe. Cheap fix!! :cheers:
Agree. :iagree: This is a very common problem among fusible link wires. Extended cranking times can also make these wires hot and eventually short out. Definitly a good place to start looking for the source of the problem. :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Vmo
Racer

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (1FUNVET)

Agree, check the fusible link. If voltage is low, amperage increases, which in turn causes wires to heat up, which causes fusible links to melt.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem? (Vmo)

:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem?

Quick Reply: 76 Went Dead - Electrical Problem?