C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:06 PM
vettefool
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting

A friend of mine just had his 71 LT-1 painted. unfortunately he did not take a photo of the hood detail. can someone tell me where he can find proper information on the position and application of this? thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting (vettefool)

All the major vendors have stencil kits for the LT1 cars. They are also in the assembly manual. I had a stencil kit for mine. The painter put on the stripes then cleared over them. Looks great.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting

A friend of mine just had his 71 LT-1 painted. unfortunately he did not take a photo of the hood detail. can someone tell me where he can find proper information on the position and application of this?
The majority of the vendors, regardless of how it is packaged, get their "kits" from Stencils & Stripes Unlimited.

http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/

They do a very good job with the hood masks for the stripes in both styles (the majority of 1970 unequal width stripes as well as very late 1970-1972 equal width stripes) used on 1970-1972 production LT-1 Corvettes.

The stripes were applied at the factory in very much the same way... The base color was applied and was followed by the application of the hood mask. The stripes were sprayed on in either black or white depending upon the exterior color. There is a very good photo that appeared in a 1971 issue of Corvette News (the issue introducing the 1971 model) that shows the stripes being applied... Pretty neat stuff!

The kit they provide also contains a set of LT-1 pressure sensitive labels (also in two styles... early 1970 black/silver as well as late 1970-1972 black/white). These labels are passable, but personally, I'd try to track down a set of NOS pieces... Especially since the second style for your friend's 1971 are still pretty easy to come by.

The kits also used to contain a couple of photographs for reference, but I can't tell you if this practice has been continued since I last purchased a kit from them.

As far as locating the stripes on the hood, Gordon is right on the money. Buy an Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM)... The LT-1 stripes are documented pretty well in the RPO section towards the end of the manual.

Good luck!

Regards,

[Modified by Rowdy Rat, 8:04 AM 3/12/2004]
Old 03-12-2004, 12:17 PM
LT-1 Larry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting (vettefool)

If you want to have some real fun, I painstakingly made my own masks, painted the LT-1 letters on and then clear-coated over them. Probably way more work than it's worth, but hey, this is my baby and they'll always look great.

:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting

Quick Reply: LT-1 hood decal and stripe painting