C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec drive shaft???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tremec drive shaft???

Reading a post recently on the ford C6 slip yoke required for the conversion to a 5 speed tremec.Not sure way it's nesseccary to press in the U joint on the car.Can someone explain to me why,you can't use the standard clamps to fit the drive shaft at the rear diff. after you slip the yoke into the gearbox.
Also why can't you use the GM 31 spline yoke & just change the seal on the tremec?
Thanks Neil.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:20 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Tremec drive shaft??? (Fleetwood)

I'm not sure there is enough room with the diff. in the car. If you have the differential out, it should be possible.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:02 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tremec drive shaft??? (Fleetwood)

The C6 yoke does not have straps so the universal must be installed with a press on the bench. To put it together under the car would require pressing the U joint in. The corvette has a quick change yoke with straps that you need to do the conversion.
It is impossible to put the driveshaft in the car with the yoke attached and the rearend installed. There is just not enough room
'As for the seal, it has nothing to do with it. The output shaft would need to have the same number of splines, the same diameter as the yoke plus thus bushing in the tailstock would need to be right. The seal is the least of the problems.
You need the correct yoke that has a quick change set of straps and nothing else works.
You could always make one like I did :)
Old 03-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Tremec drive shaft??? (norvalwilhelm)

I was able to press in the yoke caps with little problem. I used the output yoke they supplied and used a combination of a C clamp and a gear puller. They went together pretty good once I got the right combination. I even removed them just to make sure it could be done. Not real easy but doable.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tremec drive shaft??? (norvalwilhelm)

OK, I was under the impression that the rear yoke remained unchanged, & only the front slip yoke was changed to the C6.
Norval do you have any pictures of the one you made yourself?

Thanks Neil.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec drive shaft???

Quick Reply: Tremec drive shaft???