C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat converter smell!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:39 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Cat converter smell!

What makes a converter smell? :( And what can you do to keep it from smelling? :confused:

No, it's not the Vette, converter been gone forever on it. It's my wifes car.

So I need a little help, she's :rant: ing!!!

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:45 PM
outrunm
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Cat converter smell! (DP77Vette)

Have you visually checked it? I had a plastic grocery bag wrapped around mine for a week that I did not notice until I jacked the car up and checked it out. By then, it was almost completely melted off.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:47 PM
BacaBill
Racer

May be melting down. Bang on it (when it's cold) & see if you hear chunks bouncing around inside the cat. Depending on the year of the car, may be under warranty. It was 50,000 awhile ago, recent couple years they (Feds) changed new car to 80,000 for cats. You should be able to get that info from the dealer. But call a couple private shops too, dealers don't like to work for 1/2 normal rate. That's all they get (from the manufacturer, not you) for warranty stuff.

[Modified by BacaBill, 10:49 PM 3/10/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 10:48 PM
BacaBill
Racer

Default Re: Cat converter smell! (outrunm)

Have you visually checked it? I had a plastic grocery bag wrapped around mine for a week that I did not notice until I jacked the car up and checked it out. By then, it was almost completely melted off.
That's a good answer too, I can't count how many times I've seen that on customers cars.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usual reason for a "rotten egg" sulfur smell from a catalytic convertor is a rich fuel mixture. That's why following an underpowered car up a long hill tends to make a sticnk. Cats operate best on very lean fuel mixtures. If you have access to an infrared exhaust analyzer, hook up and check the CO reading. Anything above about 1.5% CO can cause a stench. Correcting the rich mix depends on what she's driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Cat converter smell!

Quick Reply: Cat converter smell!