C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:35 PM
eddadams
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix

I have just pulled the window regulators out and replaced the rollers, cleaned the tracks and regreased. I followed the instructions from a tech article on ZIP's web site. The windows work much better and I was able to get the glass adjusted were it seats in the weather stripping much better. But when the window is lowered all the way down the one arm on the reulator that attaches to the long track at the bottom front of the window hits a bolt head on the power window motor. Has anyone experienced this? I do not believe I bent the regulator arms. I must have something not aligned correctly. Possibly the inboard/outboard window adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:00 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix (eddadams)

not sure on yours, but i have ground the head of bolts for clearence before on
other cars & trucks
Old 03-11-2004, 10:10 AM
eddadams
Instructor

Default Re: Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix (comp)

Thanks, I was think about grinding them, but I was hoping it was just an adjustment.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix (eddadams)

I'm not sure if this will help -I last replaced a window regulator on my mother's 75 Stingray when I was a teenager, and I paid the local Corvette shop to replace it on my 1980. I'll have to peek at mine again, but make sure the drive motor is not flexing in and out under the stress of raising and lowering the window. If the motor and it's support flexes, you could have the regulator hitting the motor. I had to reinforce the metal supporting the motor on the '75 to keep it from flexing. I cut and bent a piece of steel and then curved it to the contour of the door panel and then used the mounting bolt to hold it all in place. This is my recollection from about 18 years ago, so I hope this helps!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:10 AM
eddadams
Instructor

Default Re: Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix (surfolly)

Thanks for the thoughts. I did two things that seem to have fixed the problem. 1st I installed a washer between the regulator mounting bracket and the door frame on the highest bolt closest to the front of the car. This changed the angle on the regulator slightly. 2nd I used a small high speed grinder and ground a little off the bolt head that was being contacted. The door sheet metal does flex some. I may look a reinforcing it too.

Get notified of new replies

To Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix

Quick Reply: Window regulator bumps bolt on window motor, how to fix