C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:27 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default "D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ......

Recently I pulled the radiator out of my 1980. I cleaned the fins (icky) and removed the shroud and installed a set of Spal electric fans.
My wife was nice enough to get me the metal radiator hoses (not the wire mess covered hoses, actual metal radiator hoses) for my birthday and I installed them too.

Today I took it out for a test run, before my 300 mile trip to Laughlin for the Gambler's Classic poker run this weekend.
Made it down to the local $.25 car wash, cleaned it and started out on my drive.

That is until I saw the plume of white smoke following me. I turned for home, leaving a nice trail of transmission fluid all the way. Yep, forgot to tighten one of the hose clamps for the rubber-to-radiator connections for the trans. OOOOPPSS!!

Made it home though. As I went out tonight to get tranny fluid, my wife and I followed the trail I left in the Vette. That is going to be there until the next rain, which in Arizona, may be a long time. Hope the city doesn't follow it to my house and fine me for pollution. Glad I took it out for a test run before 6 a.m. Friday when I want to leave for the poker run too.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: "D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ...... (BSeery)

Good thing you noticed it :crazy:
Old 03-10-2004, 10:41 PM
BacaBill
Racer

And to think I charge $89.95 for a flush at my shop. Get back to the car wash & do the undercarriage.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: "D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ...... (BacaBill)

And to think I charge $89.95 for a flush at my shop. Get back to the car wash & do the undercarriage.
3 big cans of brake cleaner did the under side while I had it jacked up to do the hose clamp. Now the garage needs to air out.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:28 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Same thing happened here. I replaced the rad & installed elec. fan. New hoses, top and bottom. Took it for a shake-out run last night and found a drip-drip-drip coming from somewhere underneath.

Although I cranked down on the lower radiator hose, it needed 1 more turn to stop the leak.

I've since "double-clamped" both top and bottom for insurance. Did the same with the trans cooler lines (they were seeping).

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Get notified of new replies

To "D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ......

Quick Reply: "D'oh!!" Next time tighten ALL the hose clamps ......