C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now this is weird, ever heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Now this is weird, ever heard of this?

A few weeks ago, I noticed a C3 sitting at Walmart. I noticed that the right front wheel was flush with the wheelwell opening but the opposite (front) wheel was about an inch inside the wheelwell. Since that time, I have looked closely at every C3 I get near and it seems to occur on about 1/3 of all the cars I looked at. Sometimes it is the right wheel or left wheel that is recessed. Surely, that many cars haven't been wrecked or had the bodies mounted crooked on the frame. Could it be the latter? Just an interesting question or observation! :confused: :rolleyes:

[Modified by Rick Church, 1:45 AM 3/11/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (Rick Church)

I would say either a bent frame orbad body work would be the culprits.... most likely bad body work.

I just welded in a new birdcage on my car, at the firewall the front clip was 1/4" off center.... from the factory so shoddy body work could make it worse. so add years of abuse and other wear factors, I would bet a lot of our cars are a little bit off center just like the owners.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:38 PM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (MikeC)

This may be a bit off your questions but no too far. I posted a question regarding the body not being level. Mine sits way high on the right side. Have yet to attack the problem, however one guy indicated if they sit high it seems to be on the right side most of the time! Maybe there is a connection? Seems far fetched. Who knows?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:12 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (smoothsailing)

Its pretty common. If they get hit in the front, especially in the bunper area, from the side, they shift easily. Most times they are not repaired correctly.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:57 PM
BacaBill
Racer

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (wombvette)

I can believe that. My '02 BlaZeR2's rear wheels are not the same "distance from center. Then again, quality control is NOT one of GM's strong points.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:25 PM
comp
Team Owner

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (BacaBill)

:banghead:
Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

It also has alot to do with the body not sitting right on the frame. Someone posted a while back about changing body mounts and in conclusion, his body sat on the frame more even with the tires.

[Modified by Redshark6974, 2:15 PM 3/11/2004]
Old 03-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Never Finished
Instructor

I'd agree that the mounts may be what causes it. I bought the '77 about 10 years ago with 52k original miles. It had been sitting a long time on the side of a hill next to a garage. The body is a little shifted toward the driver's side and the rear passenger side tire brushes the fender well on some right hand turns. When you measure the distance from the fender well to the tire the rear passenger tire is 3/8 inch closer to the tire than the driver's side. I think it would be "fixed" with new body mounts. Really just speculation at this time though.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (Never Finished)

Gee thanks....Now I have to go out and look at mine. :skep:
Old 03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (Desertdawg)

Gee thanks....Now I have to go out and look at mine. :skep:
:iagree: :skep:
Old 03-12-2004, 06:49 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Now this is weird, ever heard of this? (BacaBill)

I can believe that. My '02 BlaZeR2's rear wheels are not the same "distance from center. Then again, quality control is NOT one of GM's strong points.
If you mean that they are set in a little vs. the front. your right. about 1.25 inches. its to keep the blazer from rolling from a certain type of turn. at least that what i remeber learning. all 4x4 blazers / jimmys / bravadas / typhoons are like that. the typhoons (and possibly bravads) have diffrent offsets on the rear wheels to make them look flush.

Now, who wants to talk about chevy lean? :crazy: :lol:
Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

A few weeks ago, I noticed a C3 sitting at Walmart. I noticed that the right front wheel was flush with the wheelwell opening but the opposite (front) wheel was about an inch inside the wheelwell. Since that time, I have looked closely at every C3 I get near and it seems to occur on about 1/3 of all the cars I looked at. Sometimes it is the right wheel or left wheel that is recessed. Surely, that many cars haven't been wrecked or had the bodies mounted crooked on the frame. Could it be the latter? Just an interesting question or observation! :confused: :rolleyes:
[Modified by Rick Church, 1:45 AM 3/11/2004]
Well Craaaaaaaap-ola! Another thing I never realized was wrong with my car. :lol:

My driver's side front wheel in "in" almost an inch while the passanger side front wheel is flush.

Get notified of new replies

To Now this is weird, ever heard of this?

Quick Reply: Now this is weird, ever heard of this?