C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Corvette JABO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment

Are there any proceedures in print for setting the shift rod length from the shifter to the trans. I read in on of the books to place the trans in nuetral. And then using a rod to align the shifter to the mounting bracket. There is not a hole in the bracket.

I have set them up on my 62 vett with a small block of wook so that all the gates align. I have also seen where on a Hurst shufter you insert a drill bit through the shifter housing and through the gates.

Jabo
:chevy
Old 03-10-2004, 02:18 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment (IMEZRU)

The factory service manual has the dimensions and diagram for making a small flat metal piece that is used for aligning the shifer rods so the neutral gate is centered. You can also do this with a helper in the car to do it by "feel" while you are under the car adjusting the rods.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:17 PM
19Shark69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment (sb69coupe)

Yep 69coupe is correct. I have seen the description for making the tool several places. Its easier if you have an electric grinder though. Clean off the shifter housing and you will see a skinny slot for the tool to go into. Shifter needs to be in neutral. Take your time on the tool and make it exactly as it is described. If you cant find the description, let me know and I will scan it in and send it to you. I dont know how many miles are on your shifter, mine has over 100K and the shifter is about shot. I lucked into a brand new one at a car show at a chevy dealership for free. I had been thinking of a hurst replacement. You might too.

:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To 69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment

Quick Reply: 69 4-Speed Shifter Alignment