C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:56 PM
vethead
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas.

I have a few hundred sockets, and I can't come up with a good idea on how to store them in my rollaway. The best thing I have seen so far is a 103 piece plastic kit Craftsman sells. It is plastic trays with holes for dowel pins for the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch sockets. You place the pins where you want the sockets to sit and that is it. I know they have the pre cut trays for the various sizes but none of them cover all the sockets I have. Do you C3 guys have any better solution than what I ahve found? I am open to all kinds of ideas. Same thing with the wrenches, would like somehting that stands them ontheir sides for better room. It is a large rollaway chest that I have, but can't figure yet how I want to configure it for maximum storage and convenience. The link for the socket tray I found is http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (vethead)

Kinda like that one, better than them rolling around in one of my tool drawers. :thumbs:
Old 03-10-2004, 02:06 PM
vethead
Drifting

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (Fevre)

Yeah the 103 piece tray thing looks like it would work well, but just looking to see if their is a better way, or if anyone has used this and has any suggestions.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Secret Squirrel
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (vethead)

http://www.newmantools.com/ullman/ull6.htm

:D
Old 03-10-2004, 02:29 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (Secret Squirrel)

I use the socket clips like what secret squirrel posted...

What I dont like about them is that the springs can weaken over time... especially on new sockets for some reason... the older the socket (More worn) the easier it is to remove...

One tip for the slides, is to cut the handle off with a hack saw... gives you alot more room for storage. The other that I would recomend is getting a "Top Box" from one of the high end tool suppliers that has a space for sockets up top (standing straight up) and in a couple of drawers space for ratchets and extensions.

I'd stay away from the plasic organizers like you posted... in case you are away from your garage and need to take the tools with you... with a slide you just drop em in a bag and your on your way!

:cheers:
Old 03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (ZD75blue)

I have a magnetic holder that will hold a set of shallow and deep sockets. They work well when you want to take them somewhere.

Steve :steering:
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I store all the 1/4,3/8,and 1/2 sockets in the top part of a craftsman 10 drawer chest. I just used some thin strips of wood to make dividers. I max out the storage space this way and use the drawers for the extentions and ratchets. I'm 6'2" and can reach the top of the chest but it's about 5' 10" off the ground if you're shorter.
Gary
Old 03-10-2004, 02:58 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait till the swap meets start. You can get them for cheap :D
Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (mvftw)

Wait till the swap meets start. You can get them for cheap :D
That and or pawn shops...

The other way I've heard about guys getting tools/boxes on the cheap is to call up your local snap guy... and ask about the trade ins (they get the old boxes from time to time...)

Old 03-10-2004, 04:42 PM
vethead
Drifting

Default Re: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas. (ZD75blue)

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a large roll away box, so I don't need that, but I do like some of the ideas for the socket storage. One thing we used in the Navy was 1"thick foam rubber that had spaces cut out for the wrenches to sit in. Held them secure, and held them on their sides to maximize storage. That would be a pain in the butt to do for each individual socket.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:09 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a large roll away box, so I don't need that, but I do like some of the ideas for the socket storage. One thing we used in the Navy was 1"thick foam rubber that had spaces cut out for the wrenches to sit in. Held them secure, and held them on their sides to maximize storage. That would be a pain in the butt to do for each individual socket.
It would be...

The goal of the foam is 2 fold if I remember correctly... One to keep rattles down (subs anyways...) and two... to make it easy to inventory!

If everything has its own spot... the if its not in its spot its easily spotted missing.

I again, like the socket slides because once your system is figured out you can look through and spot the clips... if a clip is showing a socket isnt in its spot!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

1/4" dowel pins on a board :cheers:
Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Being an organizing maniac I wnet throught htis as well. Surprisingly the one I liked the best was from Harbor Freight; and it was very reasonable.
they have a few diffenent types, for both sockets and regular wrenches; even holds allens.
See:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36978

If for some reason the link doesn't work search on "socket organizer" at their web site.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:42 PM
carnut114
Racer

I use the metal spring clip socket rails from sears. I like to take them with me to the car i am working on and have all the sizes right there. I tried the magnetic rail socket holders but found out that the sockets fly off if you bump it or push it around.

Get notified of new replies

To (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas.

Quick Reply: (Tools) Need help finding socket and wrench storage ideas.